Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus sets cable Internet launch date

Options
  • 05-07-2002 12:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

[ Ironic, considering my last thread. :) ]

ElectricNews.Net
    Cable company Chorus has begun trials of a high-speed Internet access service that it intends to launch in some Midland areas on 1 August. Chorus started the beta trials of its long-awaited cable modem service in the last few days in 300 homes in Kilkenny, Clonmel and Thurles, ElectricNews.Net has learned. When the service is launched on 1 August it will be available to around 12,000 homes in those Chorus franchise areas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Hopefully will provide some good comp for eircom and eventually better prices for us.:rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I am on this trial in Kilkenny.
    I´d guess a price of E50 a month (it´s mentioned in a questionaire but not confirmed as a price).
    It´s 512-128... I have digital tv via this cable too and also have a cablephone product (phone over their cable) which comes with their basic digital tv package.
    I got great pleasure canceling my ISDN line... no more eircom :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Licksy20

I got great pleasure canceling my ISDN line... no more eircom :p

Oh .. the envy!! :D

what was their reaction?? DO tell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

nice to see someone happy with chorus, but i am still skeptical about 1st august launch of cable, i mean, how many times have we seen this kind of report about chorus?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I cant wait to move the first post of this thread to 'Broadband lies' :)

(sorry licksy, i reallly do hope it works out for you guys, but knowing chorus' past .... )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dpajur

anyone taking bets they'll go bankrupt on the 31st of july ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

i have there powernet product and its the same spec as there cable product.Its also €50 a month,it is working great after a few inital instalition and teeding problems i have it about a year and no complaints.If they do this right they could make a mint.They put around 150 ppl on a 2mb line so the ping is crap sometimes but for downloading its GREAT you can get 1000kbs when the line is quite normaly sundays.so i hope for the countrys sake that they dont fuc<k this up.I am glad to see that they are rolling it out in rural Ireland first,i would say limerick would be next as most of the infrastructure is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Nice to see it coming out.

Pity no dublin yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Just a couple of questions about Chorus' cable internet. If anyone knows the answers could you please tell me. Thanks.

1: Seeing as Portlaoise (and Laois as a whole) is another Chorus area, has there been anything mentioned about this service being launched in Portlaoise/Laois anytime soon?

2: Is this service only available to Chorus digital customers or will it also be available to their analogue customers as well?

3: Is this truly a flat-rate service? For your €50 each month do you get full 24/7 access and no catches or is it limited to certain times such as off-peak or weekends or both?

4: Will the service be capped or uncapped and if it is capped what will the caps be?

If anyone can answer these questions I'd be grateful. If not, I'll have to see about sending an e-mail to Chorus but I don't really want to do that as I sent one to them before about Powernet and it took them weeks to reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

Ill attempt to answer them but i suffer from the same thing as everyone else, severe chorus info shortage.
    Their site has less info now then it did, why?

1. I havent seen anything about them launching it in laois soon.

2. I'm on the analogue system so must be offering it to analogue customers.

3. No, chorus have never said that ive seen its full 24/7 with no catches. Uless they have business models with probalby 150 or 200 euro price tags its not uncappedbut the exact details are small wooly fuzzy creatures that change what they say everytime you meet them. Oficially i believe powernet is capped but as far as i cant make out its never been implemented. The agreement form (as short as it was) said... we reserve the right to implement a cap..... So they might or they mightn't or.... something. Its not off peak or weekends, you can abuse it anytime day or night.

4. what was sent out to me is vague. What is the cap if their is one? Same wooly don't knows as above, great eh? It used to be 3gb but hmm that seems a bit scutty t me. I believe when it was brought out first in ?cork? firstly id say there were so few on it that there was scarce need for a cap. second i believe they said lets wait and see if the cables need a cap or can they cope without one.

here is someinfo they did send me

Chorus is going through some very exciting and challenging times and our aim is take the lead in the irish marketpalce delivering a residential broadband service.
    Cablenet broadband is a high speed, online service that provides lightening-fast access to the internet. It is "always on" technology, it is not neccesary to log on or off, or to dial a number to get a connection.

So id say to a large degree their rules and policy is in a state of flux and i wouldnt say it'd solidify untill months after its openly released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by irishguy
    They put around 150 ppl on a 2mb line so the ping is crap sometimes but for downloading its GREAT you can get 1000kbs when the line is quite normaly sundays.

ugh, really? Thats a horrible contention ratio. Arent cable contentions normally much lower than this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I believe Chorus seem to have a map of Ireland with Cork missing. Chorus was Cork Multichannel just renamed yet they have brought out their powernet in Limerick first and this cable is brought out in other big towns (Kilkenny) but not Cork. Will us Cork people ever get broadband, aren't Esat doing DSL in Limerick only at the moment too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The Cork cable network is screwed, that's why. They've been working on it up the northside, and I believe they've run trials up there, but the cable is rotten due to a lack of investment.

adam

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

A 10gb cap was mentioned (informally)....
    Pricing hadn't been set but presumably will be E50?

Simple setup... a motorolla cable modem with both USB and RJ45 on the modem...

Haven't played much games in the last year+ but a wee bit of CS on IOL was pinging 50ish.

Eircom lady was confused to say the least when I told her that no, I didn't want the line re-installed anywhere else...

& weather here in Lanzarote has been pretty sweet for the last 10 days... mid to high 20's.... (seems to be always on 56k?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Licksy20

Haven't played much games in the last year+ but a wee bit of CS on IOL was pinging 50ish.

its curious to see the fasted 'broadband' connection for pings in Ireland is Isdn ... ?
    I once seen my ping at 23 connecting to barrysworld (england)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Got this info from a chorus rep, stops short before it reaches me though, which is odd, as I live is shannon, which has a pretty big population and an industrial estate. You'd think they'd want to reach us! Just another waypoint or two...

:D:D

Chorus “PowerNet”™

If you are accessing the Internet via PSTN or ISDN connections, you are probably experiencing expensive phone bills, slow speeds, frequent time-outs and most importantly staff downtime.

PowerNet™ from Chorus Business Services puts an end to this. With PowerNet™ you pay a fixed monthly cost for ‘always on’ connection to the Internet – 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

This overcomes slow connection speeds and provides reliable access to broadband services with bandwidth levels of up to 2Mbps.
    ‘Always on’ for a fixed monthly cost *
    Our professional team will install the network connection and the PowerNet™ high-speed modem on your PC. Installation starts at €317

We offer two service options

Single user or Teleworker
    Multi user or LAN

Additionally, we have negotiated a special rate for software/ ethernet card installation by one of our authorised service companies, if required.

For more complex PC network integration, we have also negotiated a special fixed hourly price (subject to customer site survey).

High-speed access to multimedia content

PowerNet™ gives your staff permanent Internet access at speeds otherwise only available from dedicated Leased Lines. It opens up the full power of the Internet in your business – faster communications, email with complex attachments,
    e-commerce, collaborative working and teleworking – PowerNet™ brings it all to your business.

PowerNet™ can also be used to give teleworkers fast, reliable access to office-based information. Teleworkers can share files and information with colleagues, access company databases and benefit from improved flexibility.

The Internet has already proved critical to business communication. But, once you connect your PC or LAN to PowerNet™, you'll unleash the full power of the web on your business.

Who should use PowerNet™?

 Businesses using ISDN or standard phone lines for Internet access
     Organisations who have teleworkers
     Companies wishing to give email access to all employees

Chorus Business Services is the exciting alternative for voice, data and
    Internet services in Ireland. We've invested £300m in our cable and wireless
    infrastructure to deliver a high-speed future for Irish businesses. Our aim is to become the first choice for communication and information services for the SME and Corporate markets.

Tell me more about PowerNet™

At present, PowerNet™ is available in the Limerick area, with plans to launch in Dublin in Q3 2002 and Cork in Q1 2003. The product specifications are:

Single PC Up to 256Kbps Upstream, Up to 1Mb Downstream
    €317 install, €101 per month
    LAN version Up to 512Kbps Upstream, Up to 2Mb Downstream,
    €379 install, €254 per month

*As it is a shared medium, it is not suitable for direct server hosting.

For further information on our voice, data and Internet services please call Audrey Yeoman on 061 272864 or email ayeoman@chorus.ie

Minimum PC/Macintosh specifications PC

PC

 Pentium 133MHz CPU or greater
     32 MB of RAM, 65 MB free hard disk space
     Ethernet card
     CD-ROM drive
     Windows '95 original operating system software and utilities disk or CD-Rom.

Macintosh

 PowerMac or later
     32 MB of RAM
     65 MB free hard disk space
     10Base-T Ethernet connection
     CD-ROM drive, Mac OS 7.6.1 or greater.

Advertisement