Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

virus

• 05-07-2002 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right my friends computer has a virus . his anti virus sofware is bol!xed

i used to use a bootable floppy called magic bullet and that was gr8 and finding and killing viruses . ive lost that and even if i did find it i think it would be no good . anyone know a program ? or better yet a place to download it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Can you boot the pc?
    Is it on the internet?

If you can I would reccomend downloading AVG I've used it many a time to get rid of virii, it works well and best of all it's free!
    Otherwise you could try and find out what virus it is and search for it on the SARC website, they'll have a fix/patch for it, and give you instructions on how to remove the virus.

< Cond0r >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Few questions to make things easier:
    - What OS is it running?
    - Does the PC boot?
    - How do you know it's got a virus?
    - What anti-virus software have you/he got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

its win me . it boots . i can get it onto the net . i could put it on a network .

norton 2000 is on it . wont allow me to install any other anti virus program .

Have you tried un-installing Norton and re-installing it?

yep

• Advertisement

And what?
    Does it work?
    Are you able to run a scan?

dosnt work . cant even install it correctly

OK, if it's really screwed the best (and safest) option is a backup, format and re-install. FFS keep the thing of your network!
    Backup all valuable data, format the drive and the MBR, re-install the OS and all Apps. Install anti-virus software, scan your backup amd transfer the files back to your HDD....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

www.sarc.com

has one off tools (little exes) to remove a lot of common virus type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Ian you mate has W32/Klez go to Norton and get the tool that takes it off the system.....you can confirm that its this virus by looking in the processes in task manager....you are looking for an .exe with first four letters being wink. It should have been using CPU power as well.....but will give it up when ever a program needs it..... it also disables most other anti-virus software.....so you need to use this tool

• Advertisement

oh and also read the info on the bugger there as it installs a second virus (dont remember the code for it) you will need to install norton after it again and maybe office as well.....or at least word.....as in work when a standalone PC had it, it would remap winword.exe and over write the file. Oh and if you have networked the PC and made a network driver on the puter......the other computer has it now as well....this is first spread through mail so get him to delete the mails that came in the format that norton states.

grrrr anti virus program crashing half way through the files . think ill just tell him its a lost cause

you have to use safe mode to run the tool from norton.....where you doing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 @boy

http://housecall.antivirus.com

beats the pants of the competitions free online scanning and disinfection services !

Give it a lash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

GET Norton!!!!! i cant stress how good it is!...

Originally posted by Winters
    GET Norton!!!!! i cant stress how good it is!...

norton is doing sfa for getting this virus . ye i was in safe mode . . im still trying .

thx for that online scanner its working . which is more then i can say for the others . its found a virus so far and only running for 10 mins . its a hybris.dll ( worm ) now should be easy enough to get rid of thx

Advertisement