Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is is OK to purchase Compaq equipment ATM?

• 08-09-2001 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

K,

I have decided to purchase the Ipaq H3630 PDA for myself (soz Palm ppl). But what I want to know is, do you think it is a good idea to purchase Compaq stuff, considering the HP merger. AFAIK all products that are to be relased from the company in the future are going to be branded as HP. Will this mean that there will be newer version of the device available (under the HP name)?, will tech support be still available for Compaq devices?, if so, will I be contacting HP about it?.

So overally do you think it is a good idea for me to purchase somehthing under the Compaq name, or should I just wait for HP to release the product under it's own name?

Note: This is not a technical question, it's a business one. So plz don't bias your answers, on whether or not you like or dislike Compaq stuff because of performance or quality etc.

Thanx,
    ;-phobos-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yes. It's a merger not Compaq going titsup.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by amp
    Yes. It's a merger not Compaq going titsup.com

i doubt the 15k getting the boot would aggree.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Too late I bought one yesterday :)

It's a wicked piece of kit and I'm happy with my buy. I got a discount for being a Saleman's anti-christ. I recommend you do this if you purchase in to high st. shops.

Picture This
    Twas 17:45 on a Saturday evening. The staff in Compustore were going frantic and just wanted to go home after a horror day at work. I had been in a couple of times before asking every single question that popped in to my head, and a few extra just to see if the guy knew his stuff, lol. :cool:

I told him that I was going back to college today, and that I wouldn't be in Galway again until Christmas (bull). So today was the day that I was going to buy if I was happy with their offer. So while he was getting the unit from the display case (for yet again another demo), I took a wad of cash out of my pocket and started counting. I had every intention of buying it, but you don't tell these guys such things. You let them sweat it out, hoping that they will get their deserved sales commision. So what I did is told him that I would only take it if he gave me a decent discount. At first it was, "No, I can't!, but I'll give you an executives leather case for it!". ****e that!, anyway it was ticking on 6pm and I could see that this guy was about to hop my head off the wall, if I didn't buy it. So I said to him, look I have £450 (cash), which you can have, if you give me the unit right now.

Long story short, he folded, and I got my 10% discount and the leather case. Which I don't think I was supposed to take, but it was in my hand all the time. :cool:

Thanx anyway lads,

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by phobos
    Too late I bought one yesterday :)

It's a wicked piece of kit and I'm happy with my buy. I got a discount for being a Saleman's anti-christ. I recommend you do this if you purchase in to high st. shops.

Picture This
    Twas 17:45 on a Saturday evening. The staff in Compustore were going frantic and just wanted to go home after a horror day at work. I had been in a couple of times before asking every single question that popped in to my head, and a few extra just to see if the guy knew his stuff, lol. :cool:

I told him that I was going back to college today, and that I wouldn't be in Galway again until Christmas (bull). So today was the day that I was going to buy if I was happy with their offer. So while he was getting the unit from the display case (for yet again another demo), I took a wad of cash out of my pocket and started counting. I had every intention of buying it, but you don't tell these guys such things. You let them sweat it out, hoping that they will get their deserved sales commision. So what I did is told him that I would only take it if he gave me a decent discount. At first it was, "No, I can't!, but I'll give you an executives leather case for it!". ****e that!, anyway it was ticking on 6pm and I could see that this guy was about to hop my head off the wall, if I didn't buy it. So I said to him, look I have £450 (cash), which you can have, if you give me the unit right now.

Long story short, he folded, and I got my 10% discount and the leather case. Which I don't think I was supposed to take, but it was in my hand all the time. :cool:

Thanx anyway lads,

;-phobos-)

Hate to spoil your day mate, but I could have sold you a slightly used one (1 month old) with box, accesoires and everything for 'bout £350...
    Anyone interested?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by chernobyl

i doubt the 15k getting the boot would aggree.
    :)

The ones left probably would ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

It's OK amp, I don't buy second hand electronics, anyway. It's something I've never done. But thanks for the offer.

You say it's a month old. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, but how am I supposed to believe that unless you have a reciept. Even if you do, how am I supposed to know that you have given it the care I would.

BTW when I say "you", I don't mean you amp, I am talking about ppl in general. I mean I don't trust second hand stuff, especially electronics, coz they're so fragile. :)

That's all

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by phobos
    [You say it's a month old. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, but how am I supposed to believe that unless you have a reciept. Even if you do, how am I supposed to know that you have given it the care I would.

;-phobos-) [/B]

I presume that post was meant for me..
    To give you a short and precise answer:
    You would not have to worry about things like that because you will get a money back warranty on the damn thing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Why did you feel the need to mention that it was £450 (cash). Do you honestly think he gave you the discount because you paid in cash rather than a laser card? I probably would have given the discount as well, just to get rid of you. The cash wasn't going into his pocket. I hope it wasn't a part timer you tormented. You obviously have no idea what it is like to work in a shop, and be harassed all day by people who think they are getting their own back on a big company, by annoying the hell out of the sales assistants. Ok, maybe he was a full timer, on decent commission, but I don't think you would care either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I agree with Gerry on this one, it's just bad form trying to get discounts by being an annoying little turd. Fair enough if you have real reason, eg. if the unit is damaged or there are parts missing from the box or whatever.....

Oh and if anything cash is the worst way you want a customer to pay; credit cards are so damn easy; swipe, sign, goodbye.

I'm happy to report that iPaqs are not the most reliable of things either :)

Advertisement