Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eir-com Hi Speed... Fast or Not.....

• 05-07-2002 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I am thinkin of geting eircoms hi speed line. I was just woundering is it wort it.
    They say i will be able to download at 128kbs. Is this true

Does any one have this hi speed line. If so could they tell me what they know about it...like what is ur connection speed and ur average download time is...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

If u REALLY think it costs 49c a day then good luck.

Look Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

eircom hi speed...... piece of sh*t, age old technology that should have been phased out years ago.... if you want to waste your hard earned on a slight (& I mean slight) improvement then go ahead but I believe the way forward for us is to go wireless (Irish Wan style) and set up internet connection points for users on the wan, the intial outlay would be slightly dearer then installing adsl but would repay itself within a couple of months, fast internet (512kbs) at say 25 euro a pop.....yes please

lets play eircom at their own game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 nocter

i know it cost a lot of money, but is it wort it for the speed?

3 times faster than a modem ...........ish

up to u

I was think that the hi speed crap.... Is this wireless up and running... have u (phoenix2181) got any numbers that i can ring... so i can get connected

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Noctor - Where do you live. LEAP.ie are offering services in Dublin 2,4 and Esat are DSL'ing eircom switch's all over Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

It's ISDN.

Expensive, but give decent pings to game servers (Low latency).

As regards bandwidth, it doesn't download that much quicker.

In summary. Waste of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you just want to download stuff at high speed, then do what i did... get a satelite isp.. you still use your modem for connecting but the downstream comes from a satellite... well worth it in my oppinion.. i have so much stuff downloaded from EON that i have no idea what to do with it all... (if you dont know what EON is its Europe Online and if you dont know what that is click the little search button)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

You'd have to 'share' your bandwith with the population of Sudan to get download speeds like that on ISDN. And for downloading at 17 k/s you pay twice the call charge, racking up a nice bill. The only thing to recommend ISDN is that its good for games ike CS etc. Do you play games online? If not, then I wouldnt bother. As for it being 3 times faster than a modem, is it fúck. I could download @ 4.5 k/s ish on my 56k modem, and taking 64k ISDN as comparison (its only fair, most people I know use 128k very rarely) , you'll get 7-8 k/s. Mind you I have an indigo 1891 a/c so I'm inclined to tick to one channel. Oh and don't wheel out the its twice as much but twice as fast lines, I know that, but I also think that you don't pay much attention to how long your spending online, and you'd stay on for the same length of time with 2 channels, just downloading more and more :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by Lorax
    You can download at up to 17kb/s (128k)

Ehh not true.
    128kb = 16KB
    And also since its only a booster box ya get really you'll probaly only get 15K/sec max which is what i get max on dual line
    Enable software compression and ye might get 17K/sec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

splitting hairs really about the download speed, whatever it is, it is about 3 times as fast as modem, but only if you pay twice the rate you used to pay for modem (since youre using 2 phone lines), otherwise if you use a single line like most people who have isdn, you will usually be around 1.5 times as fast as modem.
    as for "uncapped".. how is isdn uncapped? its not even flat rate.
    you pay about 1.25 cents(i think) for every minute you spend online off-peak and about triple that on-peak(single line), meaning if you only go online at off-peak times, you are still paying 1.25c per 480k, which is 2.6 cents per meg, which is about 27 euros per gigabyte, using isdn, and only off-peak hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

128k isdn giv's me a ping of about 40 to any irish cs server and a dl speed of 14.7 never anyhigher . i think its a big improvment over 56k

Originally posted by elexes
    128k isdn giv's me a ping of about 40 to any irish cs server and a dl speed of 14.7 never anyhigher . i think its a big improvment over 56k

I'm getting 60-80 according to netgraph and 150-200 on the score board :S

I seem to choke a lot of packets.

so hi speed is good for irish server ie playing games, but downloading is crap.....

and satelite is crap for games but good for downloading
    wha kind of ping u satelite get and what is the price like compared to isdn(hi speeed)....

I live in carlow 'thegills'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

if your using single channel ISDN, a ping like that is pathetic unless your trying to play on servers in switzerland ,
    what isdn modem do u have - i hoep it isnt one that eircom supplied

for counter strike rates for single channel ISDN
    try : rate 8000 - cl_cmdrate 100 - cl_updaterate 40

that would give u a 70/80 scoreboard ping but 20 netgraph ping depending on yer modem and isp

lower the rates will give you a lower ping but less will register

i use eicon diva ISDN modem , single channel , and oceanfree or eircom isp

baz

iam trying to deside from eircom hi speed or satelite....

which is cheaper and better etc bla bla...........

Originally posted by Barra
    if your using single channel ISDN, a ping like that is pathetic unless your trying to play on servers in switzerland ,
    what isdn modem do u have - i hoep it isnt one that eircom supplied

for counter strike rates for single channel ISDN
    try : rate 8000 - cl_cmdrate 100 - cl_updaterate 40

that would give u a 70/80 scoreboard ping but 20 netgraph ping depending on yer modem and isp

lower the rates will give you a lower ping but less will register

i use eicon diva ISDN modem , single channel , and oceanfree or eircom isp

baz

I'm using single channel on UTV(i find it the fastest and most reliable)
    i use rate_7000 cl_cmdrate 80 cl_updaterate 51 fps_modem 100.

I used to use a Elsa ISDN USB modem but i've switched to a generic pci one. (didn't pay for either)

i have eircom ISDN, it will cost u 120 euro's or so to get it installed ect .

Single channel use will give u a 7.5k a sec MAXIMUM download speed , ive never used twin channel as it will cost twice the call amount

using single channel is the same price as using your 56k modem
    although depends on your isp, use oceanfree or even our friends eircom.

what will u be using it for ? games, 'big' file downloads ? music guru what ?

isdn is a good medium but should be flat rate like 56k
    satellite is good for downloading mass files , 500mb files ect but for gaming u would have a 500 ms or 500 ping

need the above info from u ^^

baz

PPC u need a better modem

Eicon Diva ISDN modem

or

Asus

^^ those modems are the best ISDN modems for gaming
    look back in nets/comms or tech for a thread on eicon vs asus
    but both of the above modems will sort your ping issue
    they are both pci, external ISDN modems = no way for gaming

• Advertisement

well i will be useing it for games, and for file downloads like software, music, video etc.
    i dont plan to play much games but i know i will play some games like cs and if would piss me off if i had a realy high ping....

then its ISDN for you then

unless u cant get ADSL :D

baz

Originally posted by Barra
    Single channel use will give u a 7.5k a sec MAXIMUM download speed , ive never used twin channel as it will cost twice the call amount

I have software compression enabled and i can get 7.8k/sec download speed. It usually says 3% compression which would give me 7.725k/sec but this isn't really noticble.

Just did what ya said with the commands and it knocked me down to 70-90 on a Jolt server.
    Still have to try an irish one.

As for the modem unless i can get one for free the one i have a the moment is grand :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by nocter
    so hi speed is good for irish server ie playing games, but downloading is crap.....

and satelite is crap for games but good for downloading
    wha kind of ping u satelite get and what is the price like compared to isdn(hi speeed)....

I live in carlow 'thegills'

mate if you live anywhere near the college hold on for about 2 - 3 months and some sort of WAN will be available there for sure. Also fingers crossed Esat ADSL will be available there before the end of 2002 or very early 2003. Once adsl arrives in more than just limerick the Wans will get much bigger and will most definately be more cost effective than anything else on the irish market.

Advertisement