Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL News

• 07-09-2001 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CiaranC:
    A 1GB a MONTH limit?!!??!</font>

For an hour a day, that averages out at 10k/s - whoopi-da-doo!

I presume the basic is 1 GB/month and you have to pay extra above that if you download more.

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Effectively, they are selling you 2 divxs a month for a hundred quid if this limit turns out to have any basis in fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I presume the basic is 1 GB/month and you have to pay extra above that if you download more.

Well, afaik Chorus have already set the height of the bar here, threatening to charge 2p per megabyte of transfer over the cap. And there's no doubt Eircom will set it higher, because they're really just not interested in supplying DSL (because they're a bunch of big girls blouses).

To give you a comparitative example, most hosting companies charge 1p per megabyte. It doesn't sound like a lot, but do the math, it can work out quite expensive. (Then double it.)

Also, hosting is all well and good - the more traffic the better in most cases - but unless there are measures to control it, there's going to be trouble. Transfer calculation software should be supplied with the service, or auto-generated warnings.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

John in eircom says thanks for posting his number up on the boards ! biggrin.gif

He reckons they will be installing there first lines on 28th September. But for the next week he wont be able to give out any conctrete information.

In Balbriggan we may have to wait a little while longer as our exchange has not yet been upgraded :0

So im moving to Bray wink.gif

Think ill stick to cable smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Praetorian, you can stay at my place for the price of an Eircom ADSL line wink.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

1 Gig a month - is that explicit file downloading or does that include the downloading of all websites, flash ojects, etc., 'cos I'd do about that much 2 months on my 56K line, and I'd be better sticking wiht that instead of paying for an ADSL with a limit, ffs, this stupid country. mad.gif

"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." - Albert Einstein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Thats has gotta be the biggest joke since the chicken crossed the road ffs.
    Im seriously disappointed in Eircom ( like i wasnt before eh), trust them to make it totally un feasable. 1 gig, ud have that done in a day on adsl.

Still nice to know that ADSL is avail if i win the Lotto. Any one got some inside info for next weeks draw? wink.gif

(just re-read the post, if thats the cheapest deal and they dont charge too much it might be ok. ill leave of eircom bashing till Tuesday. any idea of Dun Laoghaire area plz? its a bit too late to ring em now)

[This message has been edited by B-K-DzR (edited 07-09-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Had to ring the number myself to believe it.... 1 gig limit alright, altho I have been told this isn't set in stone.

Was also one of the few occasions when talking to eircom that the chap on the other end of the line was nice, polite and helpfull.

Just checked my cache (temp internet files) which I last cleared about 3 weeks ago. There is currently 372 megs worth there! (a fair bit)

Obviously if I had the bandwith there would be alot more there because the pages will load faster and probably always fully load (apposed to clicking on a link before the page u are on at the moment is loaded)

So a gig wouldn't even cover my surfing.. yet alone games, mail, video streams, etc etc

So £150 a month for a gig...... seems too crap to believe, even by eircom standards.

But then again....

[This message has been edited by bubbles (edited 07-09-2001).]

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Eircom 1GB limit you must be joking that completly undermines the whole point of having ADSL what happens to video streaming watching webcastsnetc?? FFS that seems ludicrous mad.gif how would eircom compete with Chorus and NTL when they finally get there finger out?? I hope the god the sales person
    got it wrong

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'. "
    - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

opps biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by LoGiE (edited 07-09-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

hmm what if I wanted to dload NetBSD?
    650 mb + 650mb + 100mb making a total of
    1.3mb....... phew! I thought Eircom was a rip off there for a second !

I just phoned Eircom's ADSL sales line (1800 512 128) and was told much to my relief that the Bray exchange has been upgraded and will be ready right from launch, which will be end of september / beginning of october. I was also told that there will be various deals offered, the cheapest of which will be 512 down, 128 up and.... a 1GB per month limit frown.gif

Eircom will be doing a press release on tuesday 11th with exact pricing details and so on.

A 1GB a MONTH limit?!!??!

Are you sure you have that right? I have cable with NTL, and I do about that A DAY!

Such a limit would render the service completely useless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Especially with the pricing that's being suggested. Please post this in the Ireland Offline community forum.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

A definite case of "you can have your cake but you can't eat it"

guys, i think in hindsight, considering the current ADSL trial users are limited to 1GB, perhaps this guy who was speaking to bubbles and myself may have just got his wires crossed. 1GB a month is ridiculous. i don't think even Eircom would do that.

In Hull, Kingston Internet have just imposed a 20GB cap on their ADSL, and their users are furious.

Let's just wait for the press release on tuesday to see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Having spoken to someone who has 'accidentally' been shown the internal documentation for DSL i can tell you that both the above pricing, AND the launch date is bollóx. I put it to you that the Eircom staff are usually the last to know anything...

£70 including vat for a home account (yes, it does have a 1 gig limit). £80 + vat for a 'business' account, with no limit... i got a business phone line in my house by just ringing up and asking for it... they didnt require any documention.

There is no way it will launch by the 28th of september. The anti competition doods wont allow eircom to launch until its competitors are also in a position to launch. And the competitors wont be in a position to launch until eircom start charging them less than their customers for the last bit of line...

So some good news smile.gif, and some bad.... frown.gif

[This message has been edited by foxinsocks (edited 08-09-2001).]

also, if you guys are interested here, you should check out http://www.boards.ie/community/Forum18/HTML/000508.html where it's all happening right now. This is the Ireland Offline forum, and if anyone hasn't yet become a member of ireland offline, or knows nothing about it, go to www.irelandoffline.com and check it out. it's very useful

crikey, this thread has been thrown all over the place by vbulletin. the dates are all out of order, as well as incorrect ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Was wonderin what that was hehe.

<back to topic>
    Im not going to believe anything anymore. Ive heard so much that whenever i get my hopes up about something its quickly dashed again. Ill wait till Eircom release info (if they ever).

Im just praying they dont mess it up :(

btw 20 gigs would do me fine (atm anyway, prob not after i got it :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well . aint that intresting .... anyone know how to set up a phone line as a buisness line ?

I read somewhere on these board that all you have to do is ring eircom and ask. Do a search see what you come up with

Advertisement