Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Electric geetar

Options
  • 05-07-2002 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭

I want to start playing electric guitar and i was wondering how much it would cost for a low-end guitar, would i be able to pick one up for less than €300, I can get an amp easily.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

For around that price i would look to get an epiphone les paul. They usually range from 300-500 euro for a standard one. Well worth it considering the other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

hmm, if you're just starting maybe something like a squire affinity strat or some other fender copy

very good beginners guitar

They were the "other options" I was talking about. And these guitars ar ethe ones that usually get sold within a year or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

I bought the cheapest thing i could lay my paws on at the time it was around £140 irish, but i get a lot of buzz and static.
    Do not do this as with most things the more you pay the better you get except for some brands...

Any way you would certainly get a fairly decent guitar for €300 or save a little while longer for one of those really really nice ones.

Make sure you buy a guitar you like the look, feel and sound of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I mentioned it before, but the yamaha pacifica is a very good learner guitar. Strat copy. about 200 Euro.

Also tanglewood strat copy for about E170 is fantastic value, nicer feel, mellower sound, pickups arent quite hot enough.

I learnt on an acoustic and moved to a rockwood Les Paul copy for 100 irish. Was a good move too. The rockwood was better value and on a par with the two aforementioned (not quite but for a beginner it was perfect for me). Since I went and bought a Fender Strat after, it would have been a waste if I got anything better.

Epiphone are very nice too tho :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I'd look into some Les Paul replicas. For example the Vintage Les Paul replicas are very good, and very cheap. In fact I've had more problems with my Epiphone than I have with my old LP copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Thanks for the adive, I shall check those out next time in am in town :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

dgen m8...

dont bother with epiphone les paul's, they are pooh...

Talk to the guy at the shop about the guitar you wanna get. A guitar cannot be recommended by others because their style is totally different to others and the guitar would be for your taste too.

I myself would recommend you get a mexican strat, its about 400 yoyos though. The Strat is a really good all round guitar and is amazing in every aspect. I have a us strat and its a dream with strings.

It really does depend on the type of music you wanna play. As far as i can say in my 8 years of playing the strat is the one guitar that i never will let go to.

reD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Just for the comment about Epiphone Les Pauls being Poo.

In a way it's correct. When you get your LP from the shop it's pretty pants. Simply because when its made its not as taken care of as the Gibson's. Hence their cheap price.

But for about €60 you could get it taken to a luthier and he'll pretty much turn it into a Gibson for you.

Here's a discription of what most good luthiers would do:
    Level, re-profile & polish frets
    Clean & oil fretboard
    Cut and enhance nut to perfection
    Check and secure loose or sprung frets and inlays
    Adjust action and truss rod
    Adjust Intonation
    Adjust pickups and pole pieces
    Adjust machinehead tensions and mounting nuts (always loose!)
    Check and tighten, strap buttons, controls and jack socket
    Service, re-solder and lubricate electrics
    Adjust Stop-tailpiece (Les Paul Types) to optimum height (where applicable)
    Remove, clean, adjust & balance trem (where applicable)
    Re-string

I'd say if you guitar is absolutely Mank and stinking of spunk, they'll charge you a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

i've been thinking of buying my first electric guitar, not sure what sorta music ill be playing yet, ill be learning so i dont want to spend alot - tho ill probally end up playing alot of grunge type stuff :p

i was thinking of tanglewood strat, cheap and cheerful me thinks, tho mines gotta be left handed...any ideas on where would stock this (im to lazy to walk around shops looking stupid :p) or any other suggestions ?

i doubt i could afford much more than this tho, coz i gotta get amp etc etc

btw epiphone les pauls look crappy imo :p

also, question for a friend...does anyone know what sorta guitar kurt cobain played ? i think it was a fender of some sort that cobain designed ? can you still by these ?

waves
    pyure

• Advertisement

He used a Standard Strat with hotrails in the bridge and a jagmaster, both by fender. And a epiphone lp gothic studio is a great guitar so is the custom. The standards have shoddy workmanship.

Advertisement