Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underclocking

Options
  • 05-07-2002 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if i can underclock my Athlon 550 Slot A style processor to 300Mhz - the bios only let's me clock it at a minimum of 550Mhz :(

I'm doing this so i can have it slow enough to remove fans, and have a silent pc :>

Thanks,

noog.

p.s i have an Aopen K7 Motherboard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

You could try SoftFSB but im not to happy with the idea of it running when windows runs. Its a lot of time between when it kicks in and when ya boot.

Didn't ya have to unlock something to uc/oc them chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

I dont think you have to unlock it, i flashed my bios and can get 3 settings: 550 600 and 630

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

When a cpu has it's multiplier locked, it's only stopped ffrom going higher then normal.
    Of course the manufacturer doesn't mind if you underclock it, why should they?
    You're not gaining anything, you're not impinging on their future sales and you can't comeback to them witha fried cpu from under clocking it.

softfsb.JPG

The program didnt have my motherboard and i dont know what a Clock Generator is ...

Any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

just get a bog standard, cornflakes, (pIII) socket370 cooler. (About 7e). Then, instead of wiring it up to the motherboard (12v supply), wire it to the red lead (5v) on molex connectors. Really quiet and should keep the cpu cool enough. Or you could just do that with the current heatsink-fan on it.

• Advertisement

I'll give it a go tommorow if i can be bothered... i'll try and take pictures and post them up if i manage to get it working :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

You realise even at 300mhz it would not be wise to take off the fan. Get a quieter fan for the love of god, you are trying to half the speed of your machine...it's like taking the engine of a mini and tossing it into a jag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I can't even hear my sk-6 thermalight, there really shouldn't be a need to underclock the cpu as such, just find proper cooling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well, no athlon ever needed a bus speed of 66mhz, so I doubt your board has it. I think you need to invest in some good cooling. See if you can pick up the best cooler available for the slot a athlon, the alpha k7125. Try wanted ads on the ocuk forums? This would run fine with some 60mm fans on 5 volts, very quiet.

Advertisement