Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Name Registration (.ie, .com, .net)

• 20-01-2000 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Could someone please give me some advice regarding domain name registration. I believe someone in UCD is responsible for registering the Irish domain names. What is the cheapest way possible of registering a name here. Is there a cheap way of registering a ".com" site?

I'm trying to avoid going to a middle-man as I am well able to design a site and don't wish to fork out 200 pounds or more per year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

shouldnt you be postng this on the tech board?
    this is from tech boards a couple of days ago... you may find it uselful

Lieutenant posted 14-01-2000 11:12 AM
    Well hello hope you can help me, I also hope you've noticed that I'm using the boards properly now i.e. quake for quake, tech for tech, but I really think they should have a board for WWM KFC bullsh1t and other bull****s. (see work board)
    Now heres what I want, I want a domain name
    eg. WWW.COMPANY.IE not that but something like it. how do I get it.

I want one of the fine ISP's of Ireland or indeed anyone else with a 24 hour connection to the internet to host it.

Thats what I want now can anyone tell me how to get it.

Ta.

bye for now
    Baz

IP: Logged

Karla
    Lieutenant posted 14-01-2000 01:27 PM
    Check out www.webworld.ie for hosting accounts
    And www.netsol.com if you just want to register a domain name.

elexes
    Lieutenant posted 14-01-2000 04:08 PM
    i cant rem the name of the place i use the addy that is ill get it l8r and post it for you .

Baz_
    Lieutenant posted 14-01-2000 07:29 PM
    Ta karla and elexes
    bye for now
    Baz

Hecate
    Lieutenant posted 15-01-2000 02:04 PM
    .ie domains are quite difficult to get. You'd be better off getting a .com (www.register.com) or a .co.uk (www.uk2.net).
    There is another option, a .ie.nu, this is a recent thing introduced by some crowd in Luton, www.nic.ie.nu, not a .ie, but pretty close

elexes
    Lieutenant posted 18-01-2000 03:25 PM
    well if its still any good try phone these guys (0506) 22292
    ask for philip
    they do loads of reely good stuff for the net and know loads about sites . they can do anything you want .

[This message has been edited by WhiteWashMan (edited 20-01-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

It's actually cheaper to buy a .com than a .ie
    A .com is IR£55
    a .ie is around 100 I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Thrasher

Cheers people, that'll do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Lemmy

I think you can register .com .net and .org at domainnames.com for about £125.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you're doing that, you're being ripped off. You can get com/net/org domains from NetworkSolutions for $75 (for 2 years).
    I think there are a few other sites offering them *cheaper* though I'm not entirely sure... watch for scams etc.

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress

• Advertisement
Advertisement