Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Horror!

Options
  • 06-07-2002 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I went to Gama fully equipped with 50 spiffy euro thingies and purchased a long awaited copy of Neverwinter Nights for myself.

Mow, I always knew my graphics card was a bit behind the times but it ran quake 3 with only very minor problems. NWN won't even sniff at it. Nothing. Not a sausage. Not even a whimper.

It scans and stops at 11% with "abnormal quality detected".

I've checked the min specs:
    me got p3 500
    riva tnt 16mb card (yes that's the bit that's not up to speed)
    128mb ram
    vast tracts of hard drive space
    win98
    directX 8.1

now, according to nvidia, my card can run opengl. And indeed it is running V1.1.

So, I nipped along to www.3dguru.com and d'loaded myself a few files along with some detonator drivers that are supposed to work with my card and supply ogl 1.2 .... not according to NWN they don't. :(

Also, I don't mind patches. But 34mb!!! that's a bit much. (DRACO!!!! I need you for your swift downloading skills :) ).
    Games companies that release a product and then have to release a monstrous patch of that proportion should provide the patch on CD to those who have registered and to the shops to give out with the game on purchase. (still, try signing up to ultima with an unpatched version and see how long the updates take :) ).

ah well... me back to the drawing board.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Sadly most compaines consider a 32MB gfx card to be low spec these days.

Try picking up a second hand GF2 64MB or look for a cheep GF3 card in the shops.

32MB is indeed a big patch and I hope it broken down over 2 or 3 different D/L's as losing conn at 31.5MB would suck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Well, I'm gonna have to upgrade my card.

I do have a voodoo3 agp somewhere... but NWN doesn't work with a 3dfx card unless you apply this guys fix:

as for the patch, I am relieved to say that it is only 3mb if you use the updater in the game.

oh, and patch V1.2 is out already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

The patch is only 3mb from the ingame updater. I had the problem of the updater not finding the server, but all i did was go the neverwinter web site and dled the latest updater file

http://nwn.bioware.com/support/patch_manual.html

Then run the updater and hopefully it'll work for you :)

Advertisement