Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My poor Marlon Brando impression

• 06-07-2002 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

On July 4th my nephew Edward was born. A healthy baby boy by all accounts. Now, seeing as how my brother (the father) and i are pretty close, he was kind enough to ask me to be Godfather. Well chuffed as i am at this honour, i'm a little worried about the responsiblity involved, if indeed there is any. Is it just a case of turning up at the christening and reeling off the spiel about renouncing Satan and making sure he avoids listening to Westlife, or is there more to it, stuff that doesnt involve running a mafia crime syndicate, or leaving horses heads in beds if he doesnt get what he wants ? Personally, i never knew my own Godfather, as he lived in England, and i think i can only ever remember meeting him once.

So,are there any Godparents out there on the boards who can shed light on what this lark is all about ? I'd like to be very much a part of the kids childhood, take him out, dispense wisdom should i know it, buy him things he needs with money should i have it. Or is it a case that i just wait until he's 18, and go out on the tear with him ? Anyway, any suggestions and experiences would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

heh, don't worry about it.

Yup there's the church thing.

In my experience you tend to be the "approchable" one outside of the family, just make sure that the kid knows when they're growing up that you're the easy one to talk to, etc.

Officially the idea is that if every anything happens to the parents (god forbid) that yourself and the godmother will sort out a new home for the child between ye.

Oh and you have to get them presents! :)

/me drew the lucky straw by being godmother to a little boy who's a twin (so i cant get one twin a present and the other not... hence double money spent!)

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Hey, don't worry about it, at this stage it's a piece of piss.

Once you get the church bit out of the way - something I wasn't particularly comfortable with - but then the father has less religion than me:rolleyes:

For now it's just pressies at all occasions - oh and you'll be the first one asked for nappy changing, babysitting etc.

Can't speak for later in life as my Godson is only 2 1/2 ...

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Am my sister's godfather and had the happy task of holding her enormous fringe off her forehead when she made her confirmation. Yon bishop who was doing all the pontificating, he reckoned is that you are supposed to be the child's moral guardian, or at least that's what I think he was saying, I was playing tetris on the phone.

I know all Elizabeth seems to want me around for is the quids that are doled out when I am home, which is not too often, buiochas le dia.

What I hope being a godparent means is that if she is ever stuck for anything that she will not hesitate to call me and if she ever needs to talk that I would be one of the peeps she might turn to, although the same applies to my other little sister.

Maybe a godparent, who would not be as close to the family as I am, is somebody outside the family that could be approached when child has had enough at home. Whatever it is I am sure ya'll make a good one ya fuzzy lump. Kids love snuggling up to a tubby uncle/godparent so there is a good side to belly having gone and got ya :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Nice One. Thanks y'all.

Advertisement