Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem playing audio CD's.

• 07-07-2002 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Basically my comp won't. Windows media player (w.m.p) does play the CD but winamp wont. It lists the titles but there's no music. Is it just a prob with winamp or something a little nastier? Also in my folder options, under the file extension N/A i found AudioCD. Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Sounds like the audio cable isnt in the cd rom drive and your running Win98.
    WMP can take the audio through the ide cable and play it but i'm not sure if winamp does the same. I'd say just get a new audio cable.
    You can check if it is taking it through the ide cable by going into Tools -> Options and somewhere in there it will say digital playback. If thats checked its playing through the ide cable.

I could be wrong and it could be a dodgey version of winamp or something more sinister but at least try that.

More info would be handy aswell e.g OS and make of pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...if you're unwilling to take a screwdriver to your PC you could always install the CD Reader plug-in from http://www.url.ru/~copah/CDReader.htm, which will read the tracks digitally over the IDE cable rather than through the (evidently missing) analog CD audio cable. You'll need to read the readme that comes with it to be able to disable the default plug-in.

Apparently, it also pulls track data from FreeDB, which is nice...
    Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Could be the tad cable, dont use them any more myself.. but its also possible the winamp settings are screwed and set to output to disk or something instead of using say direct sound etc.. i know i had something like that before and it was just winamps settings were fecked..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Get XP. No fiddling with CD audio cables then.

Originally posted by koneko
    Get XP. No fiddling with CD audio cables then.
    Now there's an easy, quick, cheap solution! :eek:

Saruman, I don't see why you'd actively go and just throw out a potentially useful system interface... would you throw out your oven just because you had a microwave?

(Also, had it occurred to you that streaming CD audio through the IDE cable is eating up bandwidth that could be put to better use by other IDE devices on the same chain? Just a thought, but...)

Am I the only one who thinks people are far too quick to throw out perfectly good, but older, technologies these days? Perhaps I'm just showing my age?
    Gadget
    (Sorry folks, in a bit of a mood ATM)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

If you know you're in a bad mood, why don't ya tone it down a little. It was just a suggestion.

Geeez.

[edit]Ok sorry, just can't stand it when people get all testy over nothing. Remember, this is the Tecnology board, not Humanities ;)

I just generally prefer XP. Perhaps the guy didn't know XP wouldn't have this prob. Adding suggestions is good instead of me repeating what others say. [/edit]

Ah well, in fairness, I didn't exactly cut your head off verbally either ;)

If I'm not mistaken, though, the same thing can be set up in Windows 2000, but as you said it's by default in XP. However, sometimes you need to turn that facility off to rip some copy-protected CDs, as far as I know?

Gadget
    P.S> I wasn't trying to bite your heads off, either of you... I hope you don't take it as such.

Advertisement