Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatsink or Fan?

• 07-07-2002 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Do i need a heatsink and a fan for an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ or just a fan or just a heatsink?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

did u even have to ask . ... jesus . get both . theres a load you can get forking out for a nice one at the start means in the future you can keep it for another new chip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

So if i fork out 4 both it'll be worth it with the AMD or will i go for a P4 altogether?

Ive just seen a heatsink fitted with a 60mm fan. is that standard or shud i go and get a fan aswell or just that package?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

If your going to spend a lot of cash I would advise spending a little bit more and pay someone who knows what there doing to put it together for you. It will be worth it, and I'm sure there would be one or two guys on boards who would be more than willing to sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Look - the answer is

YES you need a Heat-Sink
    YES you need a fan on that heat-sink.

60mm will do fine for a newer (XP) athlon but it will not be sufficient (spelling?) for overclocking (you may not ever want to do so anyway).
    Also 60 mm fans tend to be quite NOISY. They are small so have to rotate very fast to push the same amount of air across the heat-sink as a BIG fan.
    Big fans rotate slower and are generally more relyable but they tend to be rare outside of bigger shops.

edit - YES the fan and heatsink are bought in the one packet (not necessarily but normally) /edit

b

• Advertisement

What about a system exhaust blower? or will just the heatsink and fan do fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

If ya don't put a HSF on a chip this is what happens:
    cpu2.jpg

The intel chips have speed step technology which decreases the speed incase of failure.
    Pity AMD haven't done this yet.

Advertisement