Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things You're Missing 'zine

• 07-07-2002 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hiya... plans are afoot to have a new freesheet/zine thing about the music scene in Ireland. We're looking for contributions for articles, interviews, reviews etc. It's not going to be overly flash, but the intention is that the content will make it unmissable. I never use boards.ie (firewalled at work) but you can e-mail me at billygannon@yahoo.com if you're interested.

Oh... this post will be put onto all the music-related boards....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Not knocking your ideas @ this early stage, but personally a special interest magazine that proposes to cover a very broad subject doesn't seem very appealing. Personally I'm in to dance music (being a club DJ myself), and would have little interest in reviews, gig guides, etc for metal music or anything really outside of dance. So far (from what I can see), music mags are generally dedicated to a specific style of music.

But so far, you have said that it will be nothing flash, and that it's going to cover a broad range of stuff (well assuming so, if you have posted this advertisment in every music board). As you've said your pretty new to this boards.ie forum, but I'm sure you'll see that every now and again, someone starts a Dance Music Vs Metal Music debait, and it just ends up getting out of control and shut down. From that you can surely see, that if such flame wars break out, people (in general) might not be intersted in reading about a style of music that just doesn't interest them.

Since we're on the dance board, I'll mention Clubbing.com. This was a fine magazine, which I have every issue of (the handful that went in to print). In my book, that mag was fancy (it came with a cover CD), and was generally a good read for anybody in to that kind of thing. Just recently printing was ceased, and the mag was shut down (due to lacking profits). It's a pity because there is no longer an Irish dance mag. There are plenty of English ones such as Dj, Musik, MixMag, but the info in there is generally English oriented (clubs, gigs, etc), leaving just the tune reviews appealing to all.

Anyway I am interested in hearing a bit more regarding your ideas, as I would like to see a good Irish mag on the shelves. I appologise if my response wasn't what you expected, but I feel strongly about my reasons stated above. Hopefully you will accept criticism as a way to better your chances of success at this early stage :)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

clubbing.com was dreadful!

the layout editing and spell checking was ****e and they did absolutely nothing to make it stand out from mixmag m8 muzik djmag and all the other crap tits'n'pills type magazines.

any fool could have told you there isnt enough of a customer base for a parochial t'n'p mag in ireland [apart from the admittedly even worse bbm]... the interviews and features have in certain circumstances not even been paid for yet.... i could go on but i won't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 billygannon

The idea is to promote independent Irish music. Basically bands and acts who are releasing stuff on their own terms. I'll admit that the music covered will be eclectic.... but being honest, a lot of people listen to all types of music. Sure there is a dance/metal divide, but it's not as ingrained in people's minds as you'd think.

There won't be a "dance" section... all contributions are welcome, although keep in mind that the aim of this is promote independent Irish music.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by billygannon
    The idea is to promote independent Irish music
    You see there is your selling point. Sounds good :)

There are plenty Irish bands out there that just aren't getting enough attention, so something like this would go down a treat.

As for clubbing.com, I know it was a t'n'p type mag. It was an entertaining read, and did give me the info I required, even if it was after a good spell check. I never put down a mag because it has a poor layout (poorer than clubbing.com), or spelling mistakes. They can be ignored to a point, it;s the relevance of content that I will notice first. Anyway it's billygannon's thread/mag, so let's not turn it in to why I (dis)like clubbing.com :)

;-phobos-)

Advertisement