Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many cookery books do you own ?

• 07-07-2002 5:57pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

As per topic.
    Give us a list if you can and tell us which are good and which are shite.

I'm bored.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mocar

god you are bored. i have 24 give or take a few. most are hand me downs from my mother when she died.
    god im bored too i went in and counted them:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

i dont have any , i`ve never even seen one in our house , the closest thing we have is my sisters first year home ec book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I guess I've somewhere between one and two dozen.
    My GF (with whom I live) would have about the same I guess.

The best amongst them is the one I put together with my mates last year. More correctly - I contributed to it. My sis put it together.

Of the ones you can buy.....I'm actually quite a fan of the Jamie Oliver books - good variety. Good range of stuff from upmarket, expensive food to great cheap stuff (I love his burger recipe, which I have since modified and improved).

The rest are focussed on one particular region of cooking (Chinese, Thai, Indian, Scottish), or are themed around something (Liquers & Spirits, griddling, BBQing, Chicken, pasta, etc...)

I dont have any really crap cook books.

jc

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have one of Ken Hom's Chinese Cookery books, and everything has turned out great and very tasty..

Once you have the basic ingredients, and the basic utensils, you can create delicious meals with very little effort or expense..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by bonkey

The best amongst them is the one I put together with my mates last year. More correctly - I contributed to it. My sis put it together.
    .jc

Now that's a good idea, must get the family working on it (all of whom are better cooks than me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    I have one of Ken Hom's Chinese Cookery books, and everything has turned out great and very tasty..

Once you have the basic ingredients, and the basic utensils, you can create delicious meals with very little effort or expense..

Yep his books are good alright I have his Thai book and everything comes out perfect.

kayos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Ive 7 or 8 books and the best one is definitely Rick Steins seafood. Can be long and complicated but if done right delicious food.

The crab cakes are top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Of the ones you can buy.....I'm actually quite a fan of the Jamie Oliver books - good variety. Good range of stuff from upmarket, expensive food to great cheap stuff (I love his burger recipe, which I have since modified and improved).
    jc

Yeah Jamie Oliver's cookbooks are pretty good I've found...good mix of stuff in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Two.

100 ways with Chicken
    and
    100 things to do with cheese.

I bought the chicken one cos i saw it in a bargain bin for a squid, and the other one was bought for me by my ex-girlfriends mother who was amused by my love of all things cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

About seven, I think.

Mostly vegetarian but not all. My favourite is Nigel Slater's Real Food (Not vegetarian). I just love the way he writes about food, borders on filthy. Similar ethos to Jamie Oliver.

I also went mad a while back and bought a copy of the recent reprinting of Larousse Gastronomic, the famous encyclopedia of food and cooking. It's an enormous tome and was quite expensive. A remarkable book but not terribly practical :)

K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

For anyone who's interested, that cookbook that I mentioned can be d/l'ed from :

http://www.waider.ie/misc/dsp-cookbook.doc

Feel free to offer me any feedback which can/will be passed on to the recipe contributors, or to my sis for doing all the work.

File is about 2.8 MB, and yes, it could have been zipped, but wasnt.

jc

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

For anyone who's interested, that cookbook that I mentioned can be d/l'ed from :

http://www.waider.ie/misc/dsp-cookbook.doc

Feel free to offer me any feedback which can/will be passed on to the recipe contributors, or to my sis for doing all the work.

File is about 2.8 MB, and yes, it could have been zipped, but wasnt.

jc

Bonkey,

I must say, I'm pretty fucking impressed with your DIY cookbook.

Played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've only got two

An old hard back version of "Full and Plenty" by Maura Lavery - one of the best Irish cookbooks. It may be old fashioned (still some very good recipies in there - amazing considering it was published in 1960), but it covers everything you can think of from the basics up.

I also got an "Complete Italian Cookbook" or something like that...not half as useful as the old Laverty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Have three but haven't been able to cook anything outta any of them coz the first line in each of the recipes is
    "Take a clean ...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Very impressive bonkey...
    Particularly like the conversational tone...

A cookbook for everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭EvenStar

like 3o that my mom gave to me. never really used them, so theyre collecting dust.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by EvenStar
    like 3o that my mom gave to me. never really used them, so theyre collecting dust.

Can I have them then?

Advertisement