Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun playing the game, the MS way!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Uggh, I thought it had been h4x0r3d there for a minute. What the hell is that banner doing there? Yuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Well I didn't have much of a look around, but the site has to be an improvement. It was awful trying to find some stuff on the old one.

Well If offering conversion to VB developers sways them from the dark side then so be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm not sure about Suns new "image" - see www.sun.com - mixed opinions around here... what do you lads think?

As for the VB->Java stuff, every OS/VM vendor has those guides. Handy.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I don't know do I like that Al, it doesn't do the company justice, I think. I did think they needed some change, but it's not very 2002 (for the lack of a better description).

But I will admit, it does make things a little easier to find in the java.sun.com department. I hated the drop down combos that were all over the site. Used to drive me mad. I much prefer when sites do something more intuitive (UI wise) using CSS or something similar.

Take www.ijug.org for example, now that's a design to be proud of (thanks to Matthew Hutchenson).

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think sun in general have done a great job at writing guides to help people migrate from other platforms/languages. The website is not the prettiest, but it is an improvement, and the content is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by phobos
    But I will admit, it does make things a little easier to find in the java.sun.com department. I hated the drop down combos that were all over the site. Used to drive me mad.

The whole idea was to make it easier to navigate, so I guess they've done the job well.

Yet I do feel that it's a bit, errr, well "yellow" for one thing! :)

snap Gerry.

Cheers,
    Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Actually I love it. I had a better poke around this time. It is so easy to find the most relavant stuff. I personally find the Java tutorials on that site, better than any books (and I've a load of Java books).

It's also low on graphics, which makes for quick downloads, which is important.

Yeah I'm giving it the thumbs up. But I'd be ignoring the eye candy side of things though. :)

;-phobos-)

Advertisement