Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celbridge/Leixlip/Newcastle wireless access point coverage available

Options
  • 08-07-2002 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've setup a wireless access point in the Celbridge area, idea is to setup network for gaming/file transfer/ internet access etc.

If anyone wants to connect to the node, I have tested the following areas and found coverage:

Celbridge:
    Hazelhatch - ground/roof level
    Celbridge Abbey estate - roof level
    Hazelhatch road - ground level
    Loughlinstown road - ground level

Newcastle:
    Near Peamount Hospital, ground level
    Halfway up Athgoe hill, ground level

Leixlip:
    Barnhall - roof level

I'm sure there is lots more coverage at roof level, so if you live anywhere near those areas then there's a good chance...

Internet access is available via link to satellite connection in Saggart (monthly contribution towards cost).

Please email me with any questions, or if you want to test a link nearby.

Stephen

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im in the celbridge area and would like to test a link .Ive pm`d you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'm on a bit lower ground than barnhall, what do I need to test it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Hi,

Just to make it clear, the current satellite Internet access is no good for gaming, it's only really suitable for light web browsing. The link maybe upgraded in the future though.

However, if there are enough people on the network (there are about 8 currently in Saggart, with possible links to Tallaght), then local(/wide) area gaming should be fine, with at least 1Mbps.

If you want to test a link, give me a pm, and I can call out with test equipment.

Stephen

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Gerry-what equipment do you need to use this if testing works out?Also u ever get that chip sorted out?
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

How far will the signal travel? Im about 2-3 miles from Peamount - Top of Clondalkin near Grange Castle Golf Course. I presume that you would need a clear line of sight for the wireless connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Hi,

Yes line of sight is useful, but it's difficult to say what kind of range you get without actually testing.

However I'm connected to someone in Saggart so you may be able to as well, because he's on a good location overlooking a lot of Dublin.

If you want more details pm me.

Stephen

BTW basic equipment needed is Wireless network card, cable, and antenna.
    Then depending on your setup, some bits &pieces to hold them all in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Hi Peanut,
    I'm in Lucan, not far off the Newcastle rd. and I would be very interested to see if the signal would stretch this far and at what quality. I have the 802.11b card and antenna. Am I to presume the cable you mention is just to connect card to antenna?
    Let me know what I need to do.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

Hi, I'm in Celbridge, and have PMed you. Crodaun Forest Park to be precise. Not sure about height though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

peanut what kind of equiptment are u using to connect to ppl?? whats the cost on it??

Advertisement