Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website costs?

Options
  • 08-07-2002 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

OK folks,

At present i am freelancing. One of my clients is getting a bit shirty with me. Reckons i am a bit pricey. Anyway, for a stanadard HTML brochure site with

- original design
    - Optimising photos
    - search engine optimisation (My previous sites have good serach engine record)
    - Local authority grant advice
    - Writing all the text for the site

(hosting & domain not included)

I am charging between 2000 and 3000 Euros. Am i way over the top.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

If we're talking about a low-tech site, with no DB or server side development to speak of, then yes. Probably a little bit expensive, but not by much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

There is of course also the talent factor, and whether or not the client gives a toss about it. Some companies will pay over the (perceived) odds for an original/clean/conceptual/etc design. Some companies just want a bloody website, in which case they should go to one of the factories (spot the pun) that churns out websites like canned goods.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

what adam said.

your design skills should be good. Also it depends on the client; if your client owns the company himself he'll be shirty, if it's a large company they'll usually be good for the reddies and will usually pay more.

assuming you have good design skills I'd say 2500/3000 sounds fine.

Originally posted by dahamsta
    one of the factories (spot the pun) that churns out websites like canned goods.
    Meaooo :D

Still, some clients will pay more for quality, but that number has decreased substantially in the last 18 months. The Celtic Tiger is over, 'tis back to counting the halfpence 'ore the pence again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

For original design (providing your design skills are good) and writing all the content yourself(cant get over that bit), id say it a fair price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

All good points from everyone. Another way to look at it is, do you think his business will receive €3,000 + hosting + registering costs back in terms of extra revenue or cost cuttings from the site?

If it will, then maybe explain that a little more clearly to him/her and go ahead and charge that (if not more!), if it won't then I might be a bit shirty too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

well i think dats reasonable..if u learn flash code and bit of asp then ur webbys could go from 3000 to 15000....but your prices seem ok a little bit steep for a plain html site but id get it if i had to

Originally posted by G
    assuming you have good design skills I'd say 2500/3000 sounds fine.
    I think the price may be warrented by the fact that he's doing the content (indeed, in that context, it may even be too low). Unless you're charging for a reputation, 2-3k is still a bit steep for (good) design and a bit of HTML, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Tahnks people,

I was starting to worry that i was ripping off somone (unintentionally, that is)

Personnally, i would like to think that my designs are good, practical etc., so i am within reason.

Must say these boards are really great at times of need

Peace Y'all

Motm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Humm. If you were doing asp programming or some large scripting with database's etc. then the cost is allright but if its plain html its expensive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

If the site has aload of pages then maybe you are right to charge those prices otherwise you seem fairly expensive.

I designed a intranet site running with ASP and Access for 1500 Irish pounds.

I created alot of the graphics(nav stuff) althoguh I didnt provide any of the content which is always a boring tedious task :)

Originally posted by damnyanks
    I designed a intranet site running with ASP and Access for 1500 Irish pounds.
    Depends upon the complexity of the application. Comes down to how many days it took you to scope the application, do your achitecture and data modeling, coding, deployment and QA.

So what was your daily rate for that one? If it took you five days or less, then it's not much of an intranet. Much more than five days and you worked for peanuts.
    I didnt provide any of the content which is always a boring tedious task :)
    And perhaps that's why he's charging more.

Advertisement