Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geforce 4 able to run on a **** computer?!

• 08-07-2002 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

just bought a geforce 4 ti200 for a computer im planning on building in a few weeks or so....just wondering, will i be able to run the card on my current computer?

my computers spec: (gateway something) don't know what motherboard is in it :/

p3 500mhz
    20gig hd
    128mb ram
    geforce2
    usual other stuff...

will that computer run the geforce4 ti200 64mb?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

She should

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

in the interests of not making a new post
    should a geforce 4 ti 4200 run nicely on my

athlon 1000
    256 ram

would i get a benefit in games if i had 512 ram in two 256 things whatever they are?
    would it be worth it to get the 128 model instead of 64 better improvment theres not that much difference in prices some places i look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

well if it'll run on a p3 500 it will definitely run on a athlon 1000 system.

I think the question here (and its one i'm struggling to answer myself) is: is it worth buying a geforce4 ti 4200 to run on a p3 500 (p3 700 in my case)??

will the cpu actually be able to keep up with the geforce4 or would ye(we) be better of buying a cheaper graphics card like a Radeon 8500LE or a geforce3 ti 200???

is there any site that has done a geforce4 scaling comparison?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

does your pc have an agp slot , its a brown slot, u will have only 1 of them and they are located somewhere in the region of yer pci slots , the pci are white -

so open up yer pc and see if u have an agp slot.

baz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

erm.. that wasn't *exactly* the question they were asking barra :)

when I first got my geforce1, my p2 233 mit 32 megs of ram wasn't able for it.. it just wouldn't boot up with it inside, i had an agp slot and I had the "min specs" that were on the box, but the machine just wouldn't take the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

will the cpu actually be able to keep up with the geforce4 or would ye(we) be better of buying a cheaper graphics card like a Radeon 8500LE or a geforce3 ti 200???

Radeon 8500LE is cheaper but it also out performs the GF4 Ti4200 on certain systems,

yes, the major problem was mentioned, your CPU is too slow scrappy and so it wouldnt really enable the Card to run at what you believe it should, If its only for short term (till u get new mobo and CPU ) then it should be grand....but yer performance wont be anything great, well, it will run faster than your current Graphics card but not by much until u upgraded.
    is there any site that has done a geforce4 scaling comparison?
    www.anandtech.com

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

cheers, i'll stick it in for a few weeks anyways - anything to increase my cs fps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

just bought a geforce 4 ti200 for a computer im planning on building in a few weeks or so....just wondering, will i be able to run the card on my current computer?

yes it will run in your pc.remember that all a graphics card does is render render render,at the rate of which the data bus can supply informatino,or when the card peaks in it's performance

the cpu does not(exclusivly) decide the bandwidth available to the pci bus(the agp is on the pci bus BTW,it's just Accelerated)
    your CPU will not be able to supply your Graphics card with enough information to make it run at peak/optimal performance
    would i get a benefit in games if i had 512 ram in two 256 things whatever they are?

i heard that it *might* bring your total performance up SLIGHTLY and i mean VERY SLIGHTLY.it's not worth it.it's an addressing thing(more efficiant in parrallel)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

It'll be CPU limited, yes... but it'll go as fast as your CPU can feed it.

More to be worried about is the power requirements. Even the GeForce 3 was a bit of a power hog (to say the least)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

since the geforce has transform and lighting capability, this will take a bit of the strain from your cpu, but since you are starting from a low baseline, 10 - 15 % on top of that is still going to leave you with crap fps.
    Running 2 dimms will only give a performance boost if both the dimms are single sided ( this will give you more banks, if you have 2 double sided dimms the cpu probably can't address any more simultaneously anyway) , or if your bios supports interleaving ( reading and writing from alternate dimms in a striped fashion ). Otherwise the extra refreshing required may actually make it slower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

well whatever of those cards i do end up buying (eventually) can i take it that i'll see a pretty big performance increace from my humble voodoo3??

(being slightly sarcastic but for some reason feeling the need to be reassured that the investment is worth it :o :rolleyes: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

well whatever of those cards i do end up buying (eventually) can i take it that i'll see a pretty big performance increace from my humble voodoo3??

haha! i'm upgrading from my voodoo3 aswell soon!
    ok back on track you are going from 16-bit colour to 32-bit colour.that's for visual candy.
    the voodoo 3 is a 128 bit card where as the Geforce is 256 :)
    there will be a HUGE performance increse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

yes it "should" run on your pc.
    Performance will be ok but won't be enough to stop your crosshair taking 5minutes to retract in cs :p not until you have at last a 750-900Mhz cpu anyway.
    No point going overboard on a cpu upgrade either but I would say you should look to get a 1Ghz cpu with a new board and possibly ram if you can afford it.

He's getting a new PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Justhalf that is what tac was saying.......but what he meant was that he doesn't need to go get the fasted CPU on the market if all he wants it for is games. A 1Gz P3 or Athlon on a DDR board would be more than enough for him. My 1Gz Athlon on a Abit KR7a -RAID is more than able to handle any games made this year or any before.

Hmm. Well, what *I* was saying was "he's getting a new PC". It's already bought, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

So what :)
    oh look Sutty used logic :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

well, i have the geforce 4 ti200in and installed - my computer is running perfectly and im getting an unstable 30-70fps whilst playing cs, which is slightly better than what i was getting with my geforce 2 mx.

To anyone planning on buying a state of the art graphics card for an "ok" pc... i wouldn't recommend it - the slight performance increase just isn't worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yes, it is only going as fast as the cpu can feed it. Its nice that it works though, considering it doesn't work on some new boards :)
    Also, you can turn the eye candy and resolution up full and have no slowdowns.

Advertisement