Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Flatrate?

Options
  • 08-07-2002 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I was talking to a mate today, and he mentioned something about eircom offering a friend of his a internet deal whereby they sign up for €18 a month. You pay 11c for the connection charge each time you connect, but otherwise it's flat rate.
    I'm unaware of any other specifics, nor have I done any research, having only just heard of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

so your mate's mate is saying eircom are offering flat rate.... sorry if I seem a bit skeptical, but I doubt its true, the irelandoffline forum would be full of talk about it already if it was true.

I'm holding off my excitment :rolleyes: (for now !! hehe)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Yeah but knowing eircom they would make it possible for your computer to disconnect every 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

*Cough* Boll1x? *cough* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. There is supposed to be this meeting taking place tomorrow between Eircom, Esat and the ODTR about solving the whole flat-rate issue but, if you read some of the threads on the Ireland Offline forum, nobody seems to really know what will be going on at this meeting. Perhaps this might be what Eircom have decided on offering before going into this meeting, who knows?

Having said that, though, what your mate has said Eircom are proposing still is not flat-rate in the true sense of the word because you will still be paying for the call on top of your monthly subscription and that is just not good enough, in my opinion. Once again we see a situation where Eircom would be still be covering their own ar$es and continuing to maintain their massive profit margins. If it was flat-rate for €18 per month or even, say, €25 and that was it, fair enough, but charging for calls on top of that, even if it's just 11c per call, is just not on.

Will Eircom ever get the message that what we want is a once-off charge every month for internet access and no more? I mean, Jesus Christ, it's not the most difficult concept in the world to understand now, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

[22:48] <Syx|Tea> a mate said his mates girlfiriend rang up eircom looing for net access for the new Dell, and the mate knows his **** apparently

ahem :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

rumbled

I['m not holding my breathe, just wondering if anyone had heard anythig about it.
    Might not have started advertising, and with the *new* managementetc., you never know.

Sorry for being blindly optimistic.

Pld Dusty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

i dont think paying up front for a monthly fee and then paying 11c each time you dial up is a fair deal. especialy if you want to be able to connect as many times as you like. and as it was already stated, if you have a bad connection and the connection drops you will be penalised with another charge?? (I dont think so." ") this is NOT! a good deal for the perspective consumer. And once again... THIS IS NOT! FLAT RATE! (infact its 10 times worse than no limits! because of the accumulated costs of connecting at 11c each time) connect 200 times and it costs you another €22

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

unless you were on ISDN as you rarely get disconnected on it. Unless of course they had a 2hr cut off or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Unless of course they had a 2hr cut off or something.

Sssshhhhh

Bad enough that that was introduced in the UK. Wouldn't want anyone here to get the same idea. Nothing worse than downloading a large file (by my definition, not Eircom's) only to find out it's non-resumable and will take three hours when you've a two-hour cutoff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

heh no theres no flat rate happening somthing new coming out soon for usrs on the free accounts but thats all folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BArra

well sceptre u could always use get-right, dead handy if downloading those massive files , can pause/resume anything you download ...

search google and it will come up instantly

baz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

If a file can't be resumed, no download manager can....it's a server thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

that's why after a few seconds it says "file is resumable".
    has to actually check it

If you get wget you can run it from the command line with -c in it, that should resume it (piles it onto the end of the file with the same filename at the spot where you left off.
    No CRC or error checking afaik, but it works..sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Barra
    well sceptre u could always use get-right, dead handy if downloading those massive files , can pause/resume anything you download ...

oh, I'm a big fan of GetRight. I even use it to turn off the machine at 8 in the morning after pillaging ftp sites using FlashFXP.

Sometimes, when a file is unresumable it's just that, unfortunately. Plus there's usually far less chance of getting CRC errors when it's grabbed in one attempt, in one stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bhell

i haerd if u had a subscription with eircom for over 3 years u can get flat rate but its only for ppl with a subscription for over 3 years..

Originally posted by Bhell
    i haerd if u had a subscription with eircom for over 3 years u can get flat rate but its only for ppl with a subscription for over 3 years..

No offence Bhell but that sounds like another load of b0llocks to me. I reckon if that was true we would have heard something about it by now and nobody has so I don't think that's true either.

Guess we'll just have to keep on waiting for flat-rate. Oh well......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Originally posted by sceptre

Sssshhhhh

Bad enough that that was introduced in the UK. Wouldn't want anyone here to get the same idea. Nothing worse than downloading a large file (by my definition, not Eircom's) only to find out it's non-resumable and will take three hours when you've a two-hour cutoff

NTL's 1-way network (48hrs flat rate at weekend,high enough speeds) uses that. Its really,really shabby, I cant stand it. Gaming is pretty much impossible seeing as us low-bandwidth people have to get on low-ping servers for fps games, and in the time it takes to reconnect, the space you'll have will be filled. Dont even get me started about MMORPG's. The 2hr d/c is what stopped me from playing legend of mir, myth of soma and DAOC.

I just hope to god we have a flat-rate service before Star Wars Galaxies is in open beta, otherwise, there shall be hell to pay...

Originally posted by Tizlox
    I just hope to god we have a flat-rate service before Star Wars Galaxies is in open beta, otherwise, there shall be hell to pay...

Tizlox, if Eircom have their way I reckon we'll all have our own light sabres and be flying around in our own Millenium Falcons before there's flat-rate in this country! lol

Advertisement