Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Permenant CTYI?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

Okay Okay. Listen, instead of just saying that yes, this is a good idea, or no, it isn't, let's be more productive. Does anyone have any other ideas about how this sort of school would be organised? Please feel free to post them all up. People who don't like the idea, say how you would fix it. People who do, say what you would want to see in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Mahotée

1. im almost sure that private schools are the ones that you pay for, and attend for six years (in theory, anyway). cram colleges are just for fifth and sixth years, and just focus on academic subjects, no pe, religion, etc. and belvedere, clongowes and those were founded by the jesuits.

2. if my (all-girls, public, nothside-located) school had a decenct boys rugby team, and possibly some other sporting stuff as well, it would definitely be considered posh, snobby, etc.

3. youre ideal school should teach basic domestic skills, like cooking, cleaning and first aid, cos i picked most of those up from being around the house, and if its a boarding school, the students wouldnt have that opportunity. and swimming. i think all schools should teach them, but there's the problem of time, teachers and facilities, and the lack thereof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Originally posted by Mahotée
    1. im almost sure that private schools are the ones that you pay for
    You were wrong. You were inattentive. The government pays all regular fees for public schools and private schools, but certain private schools require extra due to reputation etc.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Mahotée

then whats the difference between private and public schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Christine

I asked Sheila about this in 2000 cos we were interviewing her for the CTYeye. She thinks that it would be completely impossible to run. First, it would cost huge amounts of money and a supposedly 'elitist' organisation would find it very difficult to get funding. Second, people would still have to sit Junior and Leaving Certs, so the school curriculum would be mostly taken up with these. Thirdly, is it such a good idea to segregate people like us completely (this is the problem with a boarding school). Sure, it would be nice, but, under the current Department of Education anyway, there's no chance.

Xtine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Originally posted by Mahotée
    then whats the difference between private and public schools?
    Thats my point. Read my previous posts. There is no difference.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Originally posted by Asuka
    You were wrong. You were inattentive. The government pays all regular fees for public schools and private schools, but certain private schools require extra due to reputation etc.

A

Is this strictly true?

Some of the information available on-line through the Government's web site would seem to indicate that it is not quite as clear cut as you describe.

Secondary schools, educating 61 per cent of second-level students, are privately owned and managed. The majority are conducted by religious communities and the remainder by Boards of Governors or by individuals. Over 95 per cent of the cost of teachers' salaries are met by the State. In addition, allowances and capitation grants are paid to the 95 per cent of secondary schools which participate in the free education scheme.

(From a 1995 White Paper on education.)

The document is kind of old, but I haven't seen anything more recent - if you do have a reference I'd be really keen to see it(purely out of interest!). From my reading of the last sentence it would seem that any fee-paying school (i.e. that 5% that is not part of the free education scheme) will not receive the "allowances and capitation grants" and so would have to use part of the fee it charges to make up this shortfall.

Interestingly enough, the same white paper contains the following statement in the section on secondary education

In addition, there are thirty-eight other aided and non-aided schools.

I have no idea whether it is referring to the grind schools with this statement, but if it is not it would suggest that there are a small number of "private" schools which do not receive any state funding at all.

On the primary education side, the situation seems to be even more explicitly spelled out.

Funding of Schools
    Traditionally, the site for national schools was provided locally - either directly by the patron or as a result of local fundraising. There was also a local contribution to the building costs and the running costs. Changes were made over the years as multi-denominational schools and Gaelscoileanna were being built and did not have a "local" funding base. New arrangements were introduced in 1999.

Private primary schools get no state funding.

(From a document describing the ownership of primary schools.)

So, I don't think it is possible to state that there is no difference between private schools and public ones (which for convenience I'll define as "fee-paying" and "free" respectively) - while the ownership mechanisms/details might be the same, there does appear to be a difference in the way they are funded. While the fees for private second-level schools like Clongowes and Blackrock are undoubtedly also based on reputation, etc., they do seem to act in place of some chunk of state money which public schools receive.

Of course, this is just my take on it (i.e. worth about as much as you paid for it... :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

and these superintelligent kids shall be used to design my all powerful superweapon of really big exploding goodness!!!!! BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'm sorry, but this has to be one of the dumbest things i've heard in a long time (ignore me if i get abusive, i'm just in a pissed off mood)

First of all, part of the thing that makes us who we are is the people we met in school, the friends we made, the people we couldn't stand etc. through our schooling, we're introduced to tons of different people, who shape who were are. if we were in somethin like CTYI from an early age, we would end up being exposed to only one type of people really, and because of the way CTYI is laid out, IMO it would crush a lot of indivuality in people from an early age. sorry, most of this probably doesnt really make sense as i'm quite depressed and bitchy at the moment.

Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Fiona02

if you taught all the subjects through irish you'd get a government grant.
    I, however, would not send my children off to spend all day every day with lots of ****ed up manic depressive smart kids (lets face it, a big percentage of us were) cause it doesnt make anybody any happier. I see the benefit in a three week programme but it would just get painful if it was all the time.

The frames - Breadcrumb trail. a live CD available through www.theframes.ie, and is also in road records as far as i know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

nice plug Fiona... spread the good news ;o)

xd

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Oh isn't it the dream.
    It's been talked about for many many years by all of us nevermores and even people who are still at CTYI.

It'll never happen. It SHOULD never happen because it will probably destroy CTYI. People hate school because of what it is. It is quite likely that the same thing would happen to CTYI.
    As much as i've always dreamed of it I think it's a bit too much of a risk to take.
    There would be too many people going and thus there would be too many people to hate/cause trouble.
    The fewer numbers at CTYI are the better really.
    Anyways.
    Later people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Hat Girl

I don't hate school...just the people in it...its quite a nice building, and it set in reall pretty countryside...its a pity that only knackers/skanky hoes/very rare normal ppl attend. if ctyi were pernanent though, that would screw up the system of actually having an escape from the holes to which we are condemned from September to June each year, so me says no.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

i'm not going to disagree with any of that 'is it a public school, is it a private school, what's behind door number 3, Ted?' stuff, because it's all gone so far over my head, it's in my attic.

but i think CTYI allllllll yeeeeeear would be a bit crappy.

sure, people in school are boring, close minded skanks. who are annoying. so are some people in CTYI (i know i met 3!!!!!!!!) we just don't get enough time for them to get completely on our tits/up our arses.

there could be little things in the easter holidays and midterms. that'd be sweet. or workshops on saturdays. proper big ones with neon lights. (i don't mean discos. well there'd have to be discos to. and who said there was only 3, there's 4. dagnabit)

a lot of the planning (no uniforms, little kitchens, apartments, common rooms, having net access) seem to be aimed at the getting our kiddies to make friendies end of things. which isn't bad. and does nurture them.

and the first name basis thing, alright, but when you have two eugenes one of them's going to get a stupid nickname. that doesn't show respect.
    but the nickname idea is the coolest thing ever, and i want it now with some cheese, and a banana.

for funding, fees are needed. the government is a big pile of horse manure. think long and hard about it. means testing is a waste of time. i live on a small farm. (in cavan...i know) because we own land (50 acres. wouldn't wipe me arse with it) we have to pay for everything. that's the way it's done. with crap rules like that.

and all these peope that keep saying booyah everywhere. surely you all attended session 1 '02 or has Oisin been spreading the word. it's like what he'd do. god i have to stop doing that. it's like an OCD thing. i did pscyh, i keep saying stuff like that too.

oh and just cos we're talented doesn't mean we'll get good jobs and be able to provide the capital. the four men with the highest IQ's in the world apparently all have blue collar jobs. is it blue collar or white collar? well the bad one. i'm answering my own questions now too. no i'm not. yes, yes i am......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭joe the coat

oisin collins you cant say a goddamned thing about exclusive schools, you used to go to a school which costs 3500 for day pupils (yes i know you had a scholarship). i know because i went there with you! mr hanlon is still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

bah, cease your stupid babble

Advertisement