Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I passed for ADSL - oh my goodness, finally!

Options
  • 08-07-2002 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

On wednesday I spoke to someone from Eircom - he told me he'd send a letter 'upstairs' about my adsl connection and to give them a ring back on Monday...

I gave them a ring back today - and! I passed! I'm indescribably happy...as soon I got off the phone I was leaping around my livingroom, my broadband dream is kinda sorta coming along.

However, that won't stop me from campaigning for nationwide broadband for all - just because I got an overpriced scam doesn't mean I'm bailing out on you guys ^_^ I just hope this means that most of Dublin can now have the option of getting ADSL too :P Yay!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Congrats NoelRock but, personally, I wouldn't be getting all over-excited about an overpriced, ridiculously capped ADSL connection like Eircom's. If it was uncapped and about €50 a month then I could understand your enthusiasm but for what you are actually getting? Nah, I wouldn't be jumping for joy over that.

You might feel great now but wait until you have to hand over a big bunch of readies to Eircom. I bet that empty feeling in your wallet will change your attitude fairly quick!

Then again, that's just how I feel so I won't spoil your "child on Christmas morning" feelings any longer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Hehehe, thanks all the same - the pricing is a kick in the crotch but...well...I need this ^_^.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

isnt there some kind of monthly limit on how much data can come down your line with eircoms one? you have to pay something like 20c a meg for anything over this limit? not sure if this is true...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

dont wanna put a dampener on it but i'd wait till ur connected and dloading your first bits of software before jumpin about.

I've read about ppl who beed passed. got their equipment installed and then told there had been a mistake. (read it here somewhere :p )

ne way im happy for ya and hope to join u soon ;x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

When/If you get everything setup, give us the low down on your experience, if you don't mind :)

cheers

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by tman
    isnt there some kind of monthly limit on how much data can come down your line with eircoms one? you have to pay something like 20c a meg for anything over this limit? not sure if this is true...

Depending on which deal you get its 3gb, 6gb and no limit. It is 3c per meg after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

They will start charging for the extra when their logging system is operational.
    Until then only abusive users will be charged like me 7 gigs down by 4th july im screwed ....LOL

And im not the only one a few ppl i know who got it, cant control themselves its a curse and you will go over that limit i tried for the 1st month not to go over but gave in on the 29th and went mental on the "save to disk" button.

Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

hi KDJA what kinds pings u gettin from say a site like www.google.com?
    be interested to hear what kinda speeds u gettin aswell
    i'll wait 4 Esat to do Dublin then I will get it as there is no cap and I hate £ircom so i'll wait happily...its so crap even a 56k would download more than 3gb a month...lol u r limited to a 100megs a day I can download that in 7 hours on my 56k:D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Unfortunately I am also seriously considering getting ADSL from €ircom as i am sick to death of waiting for it.
    Have a few questions though, maybe someone who has it can answer them for me.
    1) I want to go for the ethernet option, is there a specific ethernet card you need for the DSL service and is it just connected directly to the adsl connection on the wall.
    2)Do you need to install €ircom software in order to run it, I'm assuming it can be configured manually. I use WIN2k along with Win ME on a dual boot system.

You can use any ethernet card and you dont need to use the software that eircom provide.

• Advertisement

The eircom software has a but(anyone suprised)
    If you have an AMD cpu or IE6 you will fail the PC test.
    My duron 800 failed as it wasnt more that 400mhz pentium and the software wouldnt continue unless i installed IE5.5 over XPs IE 6.

I know XP has support for PPPoE does w2k and ME????

ping to google is 146ms..

Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Thanks for the replies, so I can avoid the €242 charge completely if I supply my own ethernet card?. I realise the €199 connection fee still remains.?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

You don't need to use the eircom software if your running XP..i only needed the cd for installing the usb drivers..but thats it.
    (just follow the new broadband connection wizard )

At the amount i'm paying for this...if there was eircom mentioned anywhere in my browser i would vomit on the monitor.

kdja or Dustaz have either of you two got bills yet from eircom , especially if you've been bold and downloaded over the 3gb's?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Not yet (i was a bit bold. Actually i was a lot bold )
    I rang em and my bill is due on my next birthday...yay :/

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by kdja
    The eircom software has a but(anyone suprised)
    If you have an AMD cpu or IE6 you will fail the PC test.
    My duron 800 failed as it wasnt more that 400mhz pentium and the software wouldnt continue unless i installed IE5.5 over XPs IE 6.

I know XP has support for PPPoE does w2k and ME????

ping to google is 146ms..

Kdja
    I have an AMD chip and XP and everything works perfectly.
    Why did you try to install Eircom's software if you are using XP especially as they (Eircom) advise you not to do so.

I also tried with an AMD Win2000 setup and if you ignore the error message regarding the AMD failure everything works.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by Hannibal_12
    Thanks for the replies, so I can avoid the €242 charge completely if I supply my own ethernet card?. I realise the €199 connection fee still remains.?

You need a modem as well as the card.
    You must supply your own Ethernet card

as they (Eircom) advise you not to do so.

I must have missed that part....

I didnt even touch the Eircom CD set ip Drivers ,net conn.
    Then when i was whizzing about on the internet i stuck in Eircom CD to see if there was any kind of download manager tool.
    Got the IE5.5 and AMD error and never went near it agian.

Im still waiting for my 1st bill on it ,not in any hurry to get it actually ...:)

Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

well best of luck with the approval and install and you can come back in here (30 times faster then the rest of poor dogs( if you believe eircon)!) and let us know whats it like

good for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Congrats, I had it on the trial & it completely changes the way you use the web at home. Enjoy!!

The only problem is you have also to enjoy getting ridden up the ass every month by a big filthy greed scumbag RAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    Congrats NoelRock but, personally, I wouldn't be getting all over-excited about an overpriced, ridiculously capped ADSL connection like Eircom's.

Exactly... I'd still be happy that my line passed their test but I still wouldnt get the service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement