Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

raid problem

• 08-07-2002 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

well its not really a raid problem as such.. ive a kx7 raid board, and for some reason when I plug a drive onto the raid controller I get poor performance. Windows takes longer to load, and in c&c renegade (the only game I have installed at the min) I get bad stutterting, usually when someones speaking or a big explosion.

I was just wondering if in general the raid controllers are slower than the regular ones on the board, or If I have a setting wrong.
    c&c readme says that dma should be enabled to improve performance in the game, Im not sure how to enable it on the raid or if its possible at all.. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Update the bios, this should also update the firmware of the RAID controller and get the latest drivers for the controller.
    I had a similar problem with an ABit BX133-RAID and firmware/drivers resolved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Dma will automatically be enabled on the raid controller, its not something you will have any control over. What I would look at is device manager, then view resources by type -> IRQ. See if any other device is sharing an irq with the highpoint controller, if this is your sound card it may cause problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

First thing I tried was a bios update and it didnt work. The 5th pci shares an irq with the controller, im gonna check and see if my sc is in there now, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Updating the controllers firmware isn't enough. You also need to get the corresponding raid controller driver...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I have a th7 RAID, and during a recent install of windows XP, the os picked up the RAID, but i noticed that the performance was crap so i downloaded the latest drivers from the ABIT site and it worked a charm, also they have BIOS updates for the mobo with update the H370 controller.
    As for setting DMA etc, the optimal is always set afaik,

Don`t run any optical drives on your extra IDE channels either. To set the DMA. make sure the RAID is set to boot in the bios then enter the setup by pressing alt+f7(or something) there you can set up the Mirror/Striping and UDMA type also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Im gonna browse about and try find an update for the highpoint controller, Ive nothing in my 5th pci slot I remember keeping it empty just in case.
    I wouldnt mind leaving the drive on the regular ide channel if I could plug a cdrom drive I have here onto the raid controller, nout but hard drives work on the controller though :(

Advertisement