Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commission aim for fast internet access is failing

Options
  • 09-07-2002 8:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Commission aim for fast internet access is failing

The views aired in the public hearing on the unbundling of the 'local loop' were predictable. Organised by the Commission on the issue of bringing high speed internet access to the public, the debate polarised between entrants into the market and the already established companies.

The Commission set the tone for the debate by summing up the public enquiry into whether companies were complying with the regulation on local loop unbundling (2000), and so giving freedom of choice on broadband providers to the consumer. "The overall picture is bleak," said competition Commissioner, Mario Monti. "In a majority of member states, it is still purely experimental," added Pierre Buigues, head of the telecommunications unit in DG Competition. The Commission also said it had received a large number of complaints about discriminatory behaviour practised by incumbent operators.

'Unbundling has failed'
    This was backed unreservedly by new entrants into the market, who concluded that "local loop unbundling has failed." At the present rate of unbundling, said the CEO of QSC, Mr Eickers, it would be "another 100 years before there is 50% of the market share for competitors." Companies trying to get into the market also variously complained of unnecessary discrimination in the form of delays and high prices imposed by the incumbents. They also urged more regulation so that that fair access could be guaranteed arguing, in the words of the Cable and Wireless CEO, that "light regulation is an absolute non-starter." Another point to emerge was that the local loop should be managed by a separate organisation, so that "all operators would be customers."

We get no return on our investments
    The incumbents mainly represented by France Telecom, Deutsche Telekom, Telefonica de Espana and Telecom Italia were unanimous in their rejection of this criticism. They strongly urged less regulation, high-lighting their sector's economic difficulty. They were also at pains to point out how much they had invested into local loop unbundling. Mr Fossier of France Telecom bemoaned the fact that 30 million euro had been spent "with no return on investment." The CEOs of both France Telecom and Telecom Italia said the experience of America should be taken into account where other types of technology are used. They were clearly against the idea of a separate organisation managing the local loop, as well, arguing that it would be hard to guarantee innovation or the same level of financial commitment.

Essential to the EU's modern economy
    The unbundling of the local loop, a goal agreed at the Lisbon Summit, is seen as the cornerstone for modernising the EU's economy. The Commission has already taken action, in the wake of the public sector inquiry, against Deutsche Telekom and France's Wanadoo for not upholding competition properly.

http://www.euobserver.com/index.phtml?sid=9&aid=6921

At least someone is trying... Time to Lobby the European Parliment and tell them about Eircon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

At least someone is trying... Time to Lobby the European Parliment and tell them about Eircon

I have been sending them mails repeating exactly the same thing about errcom and that there is no real competition while the people who your competing against are the same people you need to purchase the same services from, for which your competing..:rolleyes: and we need to take away.. the network from errcom so they compete on the same level as every one else.
    although this is all much to logical for it to ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Can you post up the email addresses you've been mailing. I might as well send them some more input :)

Gandalf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dave has asked me to remind you that he is in Brussels right at this very minute, raising these issues to just about anyone who'll listen to him. (Which turns out to be quite a few, as it happens.) He'll be posting a report when he has a chance.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Hope the Stats turn out to be useful ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Actually, just a quick follow-up on this, because I know Dave is itching to get you guys in the know: I've had quick chats with Dave most days, but neither of us have really had the time to go into detail. I talked to him for a good few minutes today though, and he's in great form. Of course, there's a hell of a lot of work still to do, but we made a lot of contacts in Brussels that should be very helpful to us. Most people seem to have been delighted to meet with him, and some actually surprised him by coming up to him and tapping him on the shoulder -- important people, People That Matter. He also had a few funny stories, some of which I'll be egging him to relate at the AGM. He probably won't though. Not if he has any sense. :)

adam

(Edited because I don't want to get people's hopes up too high. Brussels was contructive for us, but won't produce miracles.)

Advertisement