Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Michael - Shoot The Dog.

Options
  • 09-07-2002 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

I saw the Video at the weekend on MTV and loved it. Thought it was funny but the same time hitting on a point that is becoming more and more a concern of people.

Then i heard that George Bush and Tony Blair were disgusted by it and that bush wants him banned from ever performing in The States again!

THough some of the lyrics are pushing it a bit. He talks about giving Cherrie Blair one and gettin her to dump tony.

Blair is really portryaed as a muppet in it.

Just wondering what everyone lese thought of it.
    Cos RTE last night did a piece on it for the news and knocked it as being rubbish and had some bloke from the Tribune on saying we knew the situation between USA and England and we don't need George Michael telling us what to think. A bit over the top i thought.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

i havent seen the video yet. just heard that it is causing a few headaches for Blair and Bush.

We all know that Blair is puppy following Bush around.
    I cant blame Blair for being pissed off at George Michael for the video especially if he talks about giving his wife shot. That would piss any man off.

I wouldnt put all of the blame of George Michael without knowing all of the facts. After all, he is just a pop singer. Very few pop singers write their own material. He may have just being following orders. As for the video, is that not down to the director. I doubt if the artist has much say in how the video looks.

I'm not a fan of George Michael but maybe needed to release a controversial song to get his music career back in the lime light. He hasnt had much released over that past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Originally posted by Rabies

I wouldnt put all of the blame of George Michael without knowing all of the facts. After all, he is just a pop singer. Very few pop singers write their own material. He may have just being following orders. As for the video, is that not down to the director. I doubt if the artist has much say in how the video looks.

I would call it credit not blame, i loved the videop. And as far as i know he does write all his own stuff, and i doubt he's a puppet to a record label seing as he took sony to court and won because of exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by darthmise
    I would call it credit not blame, i loved the videop. And as far as i know he does write all his own stuff, and i doubt he's a puppet to a record label seing as he took sony to court and won because of exactly that.
    i think its great that he 'spoke out' in the song about Blair/Bush.
    As you already said, we all know the situation. but no one has publicly mentioned it before this.

i dont know if he writes his own material or not. i was guessing he doesnt because he is in the pop market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

He does write all his own material, and I read an interview with him recently saying he just wants to highlight the situation, but that's it's also a bit tongue in cheek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Blair and Bush shouldn't get dso worked up about it.
    Its a piss take, he pulls the piss out of himself in the video as much, at the start of the video he walks out of a toilet stall inot the oval office, and at the end he dresses up as each of the village people.

Though he has stated that this is the biggest risk he has ever taken with his career.

Hopefully MTV won't ban the video...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I think it's brilliant. A bit of satire is healthy, it's not even half as bad as Spitting Image was in the 80s.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Lyrics

George's statement

Fair play to him, is about time someone spoke up on this issue. Not sure how many people will hear it though with alot of the UK radio stations banning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The idea is good but the song is utter ****e, very poor form for him. And the video isn't at all funny.
    I have to say it's a bit cowardly of him to release it everywhere BUT North America!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

He didn't release his last single in North America either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

He isn't signed by anyone in the yoo-ess of aay so that's why it's not being released over dere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    He does write all his own material

apart from the bit written by the Human League, now dare was a good album.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, the video is pretty funny. i couldn't ever make out the lyrics on the tv :) but i don't really like the song
    i keep watching it whenever it's on just for the vid though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

As satire its not too bad but its not exactly "Spitting Image"

But still its worthy.....

Pity the song suck the sweat off donkey balls....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Saw the video today and its very funny.But its quite hard to hear what hes saying as he sings alot quitier than the music.But i think he may be jumping on an anti-Bush bandwagon to get himself noticed.
    I laughed when he says something like Oh Tony tony tony you are so horny:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i love the video, especially the bit where he climbs onto the bed with Mrs. Blair. the song is ****e though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

****e song great video

Advertisement