Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection speeds

Options
  • 09-07-2002 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭

When connecting to the Internet (via Dial-up, what else?) I cannot connect at a faster rate than 16800bps. I know this is slow. I have seen my computer running at 50kbps in TIME (where I got the computer) so I know the modem is not at fault. Does anyone here have the same, or has experienced the same problem in the past (and knows how to fix it)?

If there is any other information you need to know, just ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Go to your modem properties. (Control Panel _> Modems) and have a look through the tabs looking for maximum connection speed. Bump it up to whatever u fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

First of all, try all the 'free' ISPs in turn. If you are getting consistantly low results then it is likely that you have either a low-quality line or your line is split (i.e. you share one half of a line going back to the exchange).

To be sure, you might also borrow someone else's modem and try it on your line.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Nuphor

Well my first assumption would be that your line has been dacs'ed i.e. effectively split in two. My line has been, but I typically connect at either 28.8kbps or 31.2kbps.

That said though, I wouldn't of thought that is really the place to post such a question. Try Net/Comms instead. Chances are the thread will be moved there anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

you think your bad.. look at this :

whatajoke.jpg

"My worst ever connection" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

mbroaders : Already at the max setting

SkepticOne : Have tried most free ones, stuck with IOL as I think they are better than Eircom

All : How do I unsplit my line (if possible)? Or check the quality of my line?

• Advertisement

Alas the only perfect way to unsplit the line is to get ISDN installed, and then uninstall it; which is pretty darn costly. You could get eircom to install another line, but whether or not it will be a full duplex line or not is another matter. I read somewhere around here though that eircom now have a policy of not dacsing lines unless absolutely necessary.

G'luck with it!

I need more than luck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Nuphor
    Well my first assumption would be that your line has been dacs'ed

Yup.. Thats whats happened to my line. I connect usually around 38kb/s. :rolleyes:

what does dacs'ed mean?

Dac'sed? It's when the copper from the exchange is split in two allow more than one home use the same locality access to a phone line. It typically occurs where theres a distinct lack of copper; rural area's, for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    what does dacs'ed mean?
    In order to save lines into the exchange, it is possible to use one physical line to serve two customers. What happens is that, instead of having two separate lines coming from the exchange, they have one line from the exchange to a bit of electronics attached normally to a telephone pole. From this box comes two short lines into each of the houses.

The box itself encodes the signals so that both can exist without interferance and the signals are then split again at the exchange.

While fine for voice, this system lowers the speed of analogue modem communication and prevents ADSL or ISDN which requires a dedicated copper pair from you to the exchange.

Advertisement