Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any word on today's Eircom/Esat/ODTR "flat-rate" meeting?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Kamobe, Vampyres point is completly valid.

From a business point of view, the FAI's deal makes perfect sense. Its a much better deal than RTE would ever have offered and makes them more money which they can do with as they please. However, for 'the good of the country' and more importantly, to look good to the country, Bertie steps in to give the people the product in question, football, at a reasonable price.

From a business point of view, Eircoms current situation makes perfect sense. It makes them more money than FRIACO and Affordable Broadband will ever offer them (in the short term) which they can do with as they please. However in this case Berttie is not stepping in for 'the good of the country', to give the people the product in question, affordable net access, at a reasonable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

There is evidence that Bertie was irritated at Ireland's low broadband figures for some time, and at the start of the year started shaking things up. One of the resulting projects was the fibre rings project. This was all done behind the scenes.

It is very unlikely, however, that he would do as he has done with the FAI deal on the issue of telecoms. The main reason is that the issue is complex and therefore non-populist. Secondly, such things are likely to be dealt with behind the scenes because they are issues of profound embarassment to the country since Ireland likes to portray itself as a modern hi-tech nation in order to attract inward investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I know the FAI made a buisness decision. Similiar to Eircom. This i do not dispute.

My point is that it simply isnt worth while for Bertie to step in and force Eircom to do anything, as there isnt enough ppl who would turn around and notice. FAR more people care about football, then about high speed net access.....

So the voters (the vast majority) do not want our national team, showing exclusively on sky. And on a simliar note, they dont care at all about the internet. And probably dont even have an e-mail addy.

Bertie has plenty to gain from blocking the sale - or visibly opposing it. Bertie has shag all to gain, by making eircom release flat rate internet readily available.

2/3 million footy viewers Vs 100/200k MAX net users who would benefit. This is my only point....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hunkypex

indirectly i believe he would. The whole country may not whoop and do a jig if they got flate rate but in the long run it would mean more people online for longer ... More e-comerce, more jobs
    more investment. And then he could say look what ive done. which he'll say anyway and biddie early will still vote for him because hes looks so dapper with his little huffy scowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Anyway.....back to the original topic (for a minute even!). I have had official confirmation from the ODTR stating that discussions are indeed under way regarding FRIACO and interested operators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

...have had official confirmation from the ODTR stating that discussions are indeed under way regarding FRIACO and interested operators
    As I was quite entertained by Ren &Stimpy, Happy Happy Joy Joy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

My extra-sensory perception is telling me that Paul Nolan is going to use the "Eircom Random Number Pricing Generator of Doom' ....

'Yes Ms Doyle I think €310 a month, would be a fair price as it represents a 50% saving to the customer' ...

Run forest, Run !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

oh I wish that were funny Ray, rather than potentially accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Eircom Random Number Pricing Generator of Doom'

lol
    Funny because it's true....

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by MrEnvy

Vampyre's point is a good and valid one. I know football is the national game and blah blah blah but it doesn't really rate too highly in the economic outlook for the state. At the end of the day it is a f**king game. Bertie is working himself into a fit over this. Get your f**king priorities straight.

Now, if the headline in next weeks indo reads "Massive multinational company pulls out of huge investent in Ireland. CEO of the company is quoted as saying "We feel our needs would be better served in a country where international football matches are screened on terestrial TV" I will gladly withdraw this comment.

Yup, couldn't agree more.

As for DACS (mentioned by Lemming), my phoneline is connected to one of those things which makes me none too happy as it means I will not be eligible for DSL and my dialup wont exceed 28.8kbps :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by Dangger
    Anyway.....back to the original topic (for a minute even!). I have had official confirmation from the ODTR stating that discussions are indeed under way regarding FRIACO and interested operators.

Well, they'd all better get their $hit together and get this mess sorted out ASAP. We'd better not be here this time next year, or even by this Christmas, still looking for flat-rate because, if we are, by Christ I'm going to apply for a gun licence and start doing a little "hunting" of my own!

Advertisement