Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dsl Cap!

Options
  • 09-07-2002 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

As i type this, eircom have not implemented the cap limit.

they cant do it for everyone, but BEWARE if you go mental, they will make an exception see below.

As far as I know the cap is not implemented yet for billing but I would still be careful with how much you download as it may be carried over.
    Declan

So there yah have it..
    Just wanted to clear up this for other posts!

:D

Carnate
    Nuff Said!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I got that too isnt Declan a nice guy :)

But i went mental :(
    Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

cheers for that carnate, I get connected friday.. mental weekend coming up... woohoo!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I wonder does that get carried over?
    Probably not tho:(

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

kdja you went mental ??

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mental on "save to disk" button.

I have a problem im gonna need a new HD soon ....LOL

Its a curse that cap.
    anyone who doesnt go over it i commend them for their resistacne to temptation...
    kdja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I didnt exceed it much for 8 months.

I queered my pitch last month tho (9gb :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Originally posted by kdja
    Mental on "save to disk" button.

I have a problem im gonna need a new HD soon ....LOL

Its a curse that cap.
    anyone who doesnt go over it i commend them for their resistacne to temptation...
    kdja

If I may ask, what is it that you download? Would I be right in assuming it's Kazaa Lite, and left running with *lots* of downloads? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by Dustaz
    I didnt exceed it much for 8 months.

I queered my pitch last month tho (9gb :( )

On the adsl site that doesnt work anymore (forgot url) is where you found that out?

I'm trying to use DU meter to monitor my downloads but it keeps wanting to monitor the wrong network connection no matter how many times i try to change it :( , which makes it pretty worthless, given that i'm transferring stuff accross the home network all the time.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Dutaz how do you monitor your connection?

Originally posted by bricks
    Dutaz how do you monitor your connection?

well, I can't speak for dustaz, but I run my istream connection thru a linux box via an ethernet card. I use iptables to masquerade my lan boxes via the linux box, and I use iptables to report how much upload and download I've done on my ppp0 interface... details on request :)

• Advertisement

I can get stats from IPAC.
    I'd like to try using you're method to see what its like.
    Can you send me details on how you do it glimmerman?
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

Originally posted by glimmerman

well, I can't speak for dustaz, but I run my istream connection thru a linux box via an ethernet card. I use iptables to masquerade my lan boxes via the linux box, and I use iptables to report how much upload and download I've done on my ppp0 interface... details on request :)

If the ppp0 interface goes down and then is brought back up are the iptables stats reset to zero. AFAIK they are. If so, how do you archive the stats so that you know what the cumulative total is at the end of the month?

Originally posted by lynchie

If the ppp0 interface goes down and then is brought back up are the iptables stats reset to zero. AFAIK they are. If so, how do you archive the stats so that you know what the cumulative total is at the end of the month?

I'm running a cron job every hour that writes it out to a file: I'm actually doing 2 things: I read from iptables and output the FORWARD table results to a file, and I also write the output of ifconfig on my ppp0 to another file every hour, in case 1 system fails: its not 100% accurate, if my power goes down, I'll lose a maximum of 1 hour traffic stats.

A better solition, if you have the time and coding skills, is to write an app which uses libpcap to promiscuously read the ppp0 interface, obtain each pkt length, and cache it, and every now and then writes it to something like a postgres database field... this would probably be safer, but would require a bit more effort :)
    The cacheing time could obviously be smaller, and getting the data would be more generic if you want a detail breakdown of stuff.

At the end of the month I'll write 2 scripts to check the results of these outputs against the eircon bill.... I'm looking for a ballpark, not an exact match tho.

heres my /etc/crontab:

30 * * * * root /sbin/ifconfig ppp0 > /root/sep_account/`date +%k-%d-%m-%y`

and heres a script I have in /etc/cron.hourly

#!/bin/bash

/sbin/iptables -vnx -L FORWARD > /root/account/`date +%k-%d-%m-%y`
    /sbin/iptables -Z FORWARD

scuse the formatting, this probably isn't the best place to try to post code.

hhmmmmmm... a quick check reveals the first method is not currently writing files, I'll have to have a look at that...

hackity-hack-hack...
    I'll fix it up later and post it again tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

and ppl say i have way to much free time on my hands??

;)

Carnate
    DSL Surfing since.. err 2 weeks :)

Advertisement