Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Books on FTP?

Options
  • 09-07-2002 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know any books that are
    a- not too expensive and
    b- clear and readable on ftp matters

I've just been given all the info I need to acces my own site
    which has been run by a virtual friend. I have a basic ftp
    programme WS-FTPLE and now I need to know how to use it
    to tweak my site and add mp3 files.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

There's definitely, definitely no need to waste money on getting an ftp book.

http://www.ftpplanet.com/tutorial/

There is very, very little to get to terms with. You could master everything to do with WS-FTPLE in the next hour from those on-line tutorials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

You don't need to go out and purchase a book. You see there is a differerence between what you want and what you said. You said you wanted a book on FTP. If you went out and bought a book on FTP, you would be getting some guide to the File Transfer Protocol, not how to use programs that use FTP.

You have a web site, and I imagine you want to be able to transfter files, and manage files on the server etc. You don't need to understand how FTP works (leave that to the programmers, and sysadmins ;)). But what need to know, is how to use what ever FTP client software, you have decided to download (WS-FTPLE in your case).

To translate my answer in to something more common, take HTTP for example. If you came in here and said you wanted a book on HTTP. I would be telling you about things like (GET, POST, DELETE, TRACE, etc). When in fact all you needed to know was how to use a browser to view web pages.

It's important to know that most of the time it's not the user that is directly interacting with the transfer protocol, it's the client software that does.

Hope this clears that matter up. Also at this stage I hope you understand how to work your FTP client software without having to go to any more expense. :)

;-phobos-)

Advertisement