Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bike and Car License and Insurance

Options
  • 10-07-2002 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

This a two parter:

Firstly, yeras ago when I was learning to drive, I had a provisional car and bike license, though the bike part of that I never used. However when I passed my car test, those special people kept my old provisional and issued me a new car license - so I lost my bike prov. So the question arises, if I get myself an up to date bike license, willI be able to get a larger (125cc+) bike? Based on having a prov bike license previously for about 2 1/2 years.

Second, the reason this crops up is I'm (obviously) thinking about getting a bike, but there is no way in hell that I'm giving up the car. Do the insurance companies give cover over a bike and car for an individual?

Any knowledge appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

The length of time you had your provisional licence makes no difference (other than it's probably expired). Length of time doesn't affect anything until after you pass your category A test, you'll be restricted to a 33bhp bike for 2 years (so apply for it now)

Some car insurance policies will automatically cover you on any bike provided it's not yours (so register it in someone elses name)

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Soory dogs, but the point of the first part, I really wans't explicit, it was at the time if you were over 25 (which I was) you weren't resticted to class AI (125cc or less) but could go straight to a big Bike:D

So, because the twats took my old prov license, I'm not sure whether that will stand to me, or whether I'll have to start again

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Borzoi
    Soory dogs, but the point of the first part, I really wans't explicit, it was at the time if you were over 25 (which I was) you weren't resticted to class AI (125cc or less) but could go straight to a big Bike:D

So, because the twats took my old prov license, I'm not sure whether that will stand to me, or whether I'll have to start again

You'll actually have to go up and ask them in the tax office. When I got my car prov, I didn't put bike on it, so then when I went to get a bike prov, they just issued me with a brand new bike prov, giving me 4 years to do my test. My brother on the other hand, got car and bike on the one provisional, and has only been riding the bike, so when he goes to get a car one, he'll have to offer proof that he's applied for a test before they'll give it to him, seeing as he's currently on his second car/bike provisional.

They might make an exception in your case, seeing as it is so long since you've had a bike provisional, but imo, you'll have to go into the tax office and ask them youself. :)

I'm not 100% on your question, but are you asking if you're exempt from the 33bhp rule because your licence is so old?

No you won't be. I was reading this today, and the legislation was along the lines of:
    "In the case of all full licences for category A issued after (such-and-such date), the holder is restricted to no more than 33bhp for 2 years. " So regardless of how long ago you had the provisional, the rule will still apply. :)

Advertisement