Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MS Word cannot see saved files and folders

• 10-07-2002 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a user on a Win2k profession workstation wift office 2000.
    She has a number of files and folders saved on a network drive.

They are there in explorer.

But when she goes into file and open in ms word, only 1 file and 2 folders appear , the rest are invisible. The network share is set as the default file location.

I tried going back up to the root of the drive and navigating down, but still cannot see them, and i disconnected and drive and remapped, and got nowhere.

Anyone come accross this before, or have any suggestions!

Thanx

X

(If it matters i think Win 2k is on sr1, and office 2k is on sr1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Not a stupid question at all!

.. but yes i have tried it as doc files, all files etc., and even if I had not, i should still see all folders, and some (most) folders are hidden too!

As .doc files (ms word files) some .doc files are not even appearing , nor do the yaapear in all files.

I tried changing to different file types eg RichText, and the screen for a split second sees all folders and then most of them dissapear, and it goes back the same.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

try logging on to the domain as another user on the same PC, go into word and try do what your trying to do ..... see if you can see the folders and files. If you can, its permissions or something to do with the particular user's profile. Goto the server with the folders on and give specific permissions for the user on the specific folders, I know its a longer and improper way of doing things, but try it.

check out technet and look for problems that are similar:
    www.microsoft.com/support

look for updates for office on the web....

Go into any directory on the win2k workstation (locally), click on 'Tools', 'Folder options', 'View', make sure 'Show hidden files and folders' is ticked

what OS is on the server? Nt4/2000 ?

ehm, maybe try going to the server, copy the files to another NEW folder, and give specific permissions of the user, NTFS and share permissions...

ehm, cant think of anything else at the mo, you should be able to see something on the technet site, thats an animal site for NT/2000 admins :D:D

last idea, apply SP2 to the win2k machine, but I dont think that'l do anything magic, but you never know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

did ya get it working ?

if so, can you shed some light on what the problem was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

No, Still baffleing me.

The server s nt4 sp6a, and the client workstation is Win2k sp1.

Ive never been very good at asking the right questions/keywords on technet, but I tried it, and i tried Google too, wit no success.

I have not tried loogin on as another user yet, cause other users dont have access rights to users home drive. i could log on a domain admin.... but i dont see how that would help, even if it worked.

Im considering deleting the users profile, and creating a new one, unless any1 can come up with a better solution.

X

Advertisement