Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sharing adsl in celbridge

Options
  • 10-07-2002 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I had my line tested for adsl and it passed. So I was wondering was there anyone in celbridge interested in sharing adsl using some wireless equipment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Yep, I'm interested!
    Though you've probably seen my post,
    I am sharing Satellite access from Saggart wirelessly, and can forward this down to Celbridge.

Have tested some parts already (Celbridge Abbey) but need to test more.

Are you interested in getting a wireless connection going? If you like I could call down sometime to see what you can pickup from your current location.

Cheers,
    Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

I am thinking of doing the same in my place but am just curious in the T&C of the uncapped 1mbit version is there anything about sharing it.IT is just that it would be an awfull same after all the hard work for them to come and cut us off.
    Cheers

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Id probably be interested if the connection was ok for online gaming.Ive already talked to stephen(peanut) about this and since all I mainly use the net for is gaming then the satellite connection is not much use to me due to the high latency associated with sat connections.
    Thanks
    Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Im not sure about the T&C but those ba$%&rds charge enough for a very premium priced service. Eircom say they are aiming this product at companies who would be using it in small to medium office enviroments. So I don't see what problem they could have with people sharing it out to some of their neighbours. But thats just my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

I don't think there would be any great qualms about sharing the connection via Wi-Fi means (or just don't tell them).
    However, if you were to take (ahem) "contributions" towards the cost of the line, I don't think Eircom would appreciate you selling on their bandwidth :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Maybe I could register as a charity and take donations that way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Gerry

With a decent gateway hooked up the adsl ( unix box with logging etc ), you could keep track of how much people were using it, and they could pay accordingly.

Hi Gerry,

That's a good idea if you were using either of the uncapped ADSL services (Solo or Multi), but with i-stream "Enhanced" there's no cap, so I don't think charging per MByte downloaded would be a problem/necessity.
    Plus, that's the package that's sold intentionally for sharing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I'd like in on this.

Peanut, Gerry told me to give you a shout re: the Irish WAN? I live (high enough) in Leixlip.

Hi JustHalf,

I'm Peanut's brother. Just as an update, we've ordered i-Stream enhanced (1Mbit/256kbps, no download cap) which should be here in 2-3 weeks, so we won't need to route to the Satellite connection. This package is designed for sharing, so there's no problems with distributing the connection to other wireless users.

We'd need to test the link from your location. An 8dbi Omni aerial (going at about 20dBi, all-in) will pick up other connections. If you have good LOS and a good aerial (maybe a 9.3dBi or a 14dBi flat panel) you should be good. A site-test can be arranged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Sweet. I'd love to connect to it. It'd be great to have a site-test.

Presuming I could connect, how much would the monthly charge be? I'm aware that it costs around 350 Euro for the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Hi JustHalf,

Whereabouts in Leixlip are you located?

If you pm me, we can arrange to do a link test, if there looks like there's a chance of connecting.

We are planning on splitting the Internet charges so that the contribution would be 25 euro max per connection, but we'll see how things go.

Stephen

Advertisement