Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bike Testing - Which Licence?

Options
  • 10-07-2002 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

OK, I have a provisional for A1 and A and intend going for me licence quite soon. I drive a marauder 125, and seeing as the A-licence is to allow people to drive any bikes (ie over 125cc aswell), I'm assuming that I can then only do a test for a full A1 licence on the 125. Am I right? I intend then to get a bigger bike once I leave college, or if something miraculous happens before then - win the lotto, get a wad of shares, etc etc - will I then have to go back to a provisional A licence, and resit a whole new test? That would not be cool :(.

Would it be worth my while (ie has anyone done this?) - My bro has a 250 Honda of racing style. This bike is obviously completely different to mine, and would take at least a week, maybe two, to get used to it enough to do a test on it. So Hibernian would probably rape me of a few weeks wages (it's a group 4) to insure me for a week on it. Plus I'd have to convince my bro to take a cruiser out to work every day, but I can buy my way there ;)

Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

If you're over 18, do your category A test.
    You're going to have to wait 2 years before you can ride an unrestricted bike, may as well get those two years over with as soon as you can.

Some driving schools will let you hire a bigger bike for lessons and the test. This might be cheaper than getting covered on your brothers bike.

If you're driving your own bike now, you probably know everything you need to know, just an hour or two on the other bike should do -- you'll probably even find it easier to do things like the U-turn on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Yeah seamus, its a balls with the two different categories... I changed my 125 to a 650 at the start of the year (but only after cancelling my test once). I got my test in June and now have my full license.

seamus, if I were you I'd avoid doing the A1 test like the plague cos as you said ureself you're only going to end up doing the A test when you change your bike. Just borrow your brothers bike (after some alcoholic persuasion :D)

As far as I know theres absolutely no difference between the A and A1 test, apart from the 250cc quota. It wont be a problem for you if your brothers bike isint much heavier than yours (being a sports bike its bound to be lighter).

You might even get lucky like I did with my test and get the most relaxed tester in the world :)

Keep us updated anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah I reckon bribage of a couple of pints might do the trick. I'm gonna ring some driving schools and see what the story is with renting bikes from them, 'cos that'd be much easier then switching my insurance and blah de blah. Told my gf yesterday and got, "There's no way you're getting a bigger bike. If you have the money to get a bigger bike you have the money to get a car!" (women don't seem to understand the concept of paying for insurance or petrol). Anyway I convinced her that 'There'll always be a motorbike in my garage', to which she said, "OK, but you still won't go on the M50 will you?". emmmmm....nooo.....:p

Advertisement