Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Helmet Modding?

Options
  • 10-07-2002 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever heard of, or ever done some helmet mods? I've been seriously considering giving it a go (after my exams). See, since I've moved from bike to car, I haven't had a chance to listen to as much music/radio as I'd like to (music is my life blood). And I've noticed nice big indents in the fabric of my helmet where my ears are (for the straps or summink). I also happen to have a pair of headphones that would fit snugly in there :) (You can see where I'm going).

Anyway, my plan is to put the speaker part of the headphones in there (they have a very low max output, ideal for not deafening me, or drowning out all other noise), then a small wire through the fabric to an audio jack, which will be embedded in the fabric at the bottom of the helmet. This means, that I'll have no cables hanging out when not using the walkman/discman. All cutting, modding, will only be done on the fabric, so I won't be compromising the safety of the helmet. Or will I? Is this legal, is probably the first question? Have ever seen this done before?

If yes is the answer to both those questions, and it actually somehow works, I'll do it for other people who are interested :)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

how would that be for driving Seamus? couldn't it be a bit dangerous if you cannot here what's going on around you, I have thought about sticking in the old head phones myself but decided against it on the grounds I wouldn't feel comfortable not being able to hear the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

AFAIK Honda Goldwings have an option for helmets with speakers and cable jacks, so the legality should be okay, but what do I know I'm not a Lawyer

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    how would that be for driving Seamus? couldn't it be a bit dangerous if you cannot here what's going on around you, I have thought about sticking in the old head phones myself but decided against it on the grounds I wouldn't feel comfortable not being able to hear the traffic.

Well, with the headphones I have earmarked (excuse the pun), I'll be able to well hear pretty much everything. I've also been considering just putting in one mono earphone, thereby not compromising my total hearing. I've also been considering just putting in a small fm radio, with an adjuster and a slot for a small battery at the bottom of the helmet, which would be handy, and wouldn't bring up any questions when stopped by the Gardai :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by seamus
    I've also been considering just putting in one mono earphone

well, that's not a bad idea, though I'd miss not hearing in sterio, if you go ahead and do it, let me know how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I would imagine that it is legal, given that there are a huge range of helmet products (read: intercoms) available for communication between the rider and pillion passenger.

examples:
    Chatterbox
    Graytronics
    Nady

Some of these even allow you to plug in music/radio sources..

Safety is another issue entirely..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I ahve a shoei rxr helmet and thatbhas the big gaps at your ears I set a set of normal earphones in the indent when i'm on long journeys, once they dont make contact with your ears your hearing is not really effected.

Anyway depending on your bike and the speed you drive at the wind noise could drown out the music (and the other road noise that you are trying to hear)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Originally posted by Kazujo
    Anyway depending on your bike and the speed you drive at the wind noise could drown out the music (and the other road noise that you are trying to hear)

Not sure I'd have much use for it ... I wear ear plugs :p

Seriously, prolonged exposure to noise at speed (over 40mph) can cause hearing damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

thats a great idea , although is it legal ? does anyone know for definite ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by dogs
    Seriously, prolonged exposure to noise at speed (over 40mph) can cause hearing damage.
    WHAT? :p

How does that work then? Surely if you and the noise are both travelling at 40mph, then it's the same as listening to it at 0mph. Or are you talking about the noise of the other traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

If you ever go for a long journey, and have pretty much any bike at 60 or more, you're just gonna get engine noise and the noise of the wind, the faster you go, the more both these get louder. Dunno about damage but if you buy a sports bike you can forget about music at high speed cos all you can hear is "whhhoooooooooshhhhh"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Whenb you drive above 40mph your can get noise upto 90db in your helmet, between 50 -70 it's up near 109db. When you movin your helmet acts like a bell as vibrates and amplifies the wind noise. IT can even match the natural frequency of your eyes and cause blurred vision, so if you even hear teh engine or the exhaust your doin well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

First of all what do you ride and where do you normally ride it?

Listening to music or the radio might be okay for a big long straight road like you might find on the continent or in the United States but isn't really practical here.

For one; in traffic the more you can hear going on around you the better your overall 'picture' of the surrounding environment. It also means you can hear the muppet revving the diddies off his moped before he tries to overtake you while taking off from some lights.

For two; if you are going to have anything near or in your ears when you're travelling anywhere above fifty or so miles per hour make it some decent quality earplugs. Wind noise flitting around and into your helmet can seriously damage your hearing. I believe fifteen minutes at 70mph with no earplugs will physically damage your ears, if I remember correctly. The damage caused by wind noise is cumulative and irreparable by the way.

Personally I have an Arai RX7RR4 lid and it's got lots of ventilation and so is incredibly noisy. And not that I'd be going over 120mph on the roads but the noise generated at that speed is enough to actually disorientate me and make me feel physically sick without earplugs.

I don't really agree with listening to music while riding a motorcycle; I believe you need as many of your wits about you as is possible and no distractions that can be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

well as far as i know what your trying to do is legal, not 100% but pretty certain it is...

i must admit that on my old bike (suzuki marauder 125) i used to get bored out of my mind on long journeys, and i did lots of 3-4hr drives from tipp to sligo, after one or two i thought i'd try discman with just one earphone for the journey and to my surprise it was quiet alright, did'nt affect my driving as much as i thought it might, with earpiece only in left ear i could still hear all the traffic around me with the right ear, when my mind used to get bored that music kicked in and helped the old brain hang in there.

having said that, that bike never did more than about 55mph on a really good road ;) nowadays i drive a 650 yamaha dragstar and have not once ever felt the need to even try the music again, i find with the extra power under my ass i know now more than ever i have to be as alert as possible, that and the fact that i have custom cut exhausts on the bike making it loud as hell ;) i would'nt hear the music if i did try :-\

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

There is a company somewhere in England that sell these kits specially for bikers.. It consists of a small pair of headphones that are encased in gel-like stuff.. It comes as a generic size but u have to mould it to the exact shape of your ear. Apparently its fantastic cos it cuts out nearly all outside noise and only lets u hear the music/radio/whatever...

never found out the name of the company after some searching but nevertheless I shall continue my search

Advertisement