Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh sweet jesus, ive just lost all faith

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

With regard to high-speed landline networks, such as DSL, Morris said that he could not see the point in spending million on Ireland's broadband infrastructure unless applications had been developed for it. "I have a broadband connection in my house and it's under-utilised," he said. "If you build a broadband network it will eventually be filled with traffic, but we need to look at whether this will actually benefits the economy. We've built huge networks to facilitate e-mail, but we need to ask whether it's economically productive to spend our working days reading and answering e-mails,"
    oh dear god.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Barry Morris,

Chief Exec of Iona, don't worry about it. Whet he is basically saying is we don't need broadband 'cos we have nothing usefuly to run over it, but if you were to buy some applications (or the tools to build these applications) from Iona, now that would be something useful etc etc etc. Its just politics on his part, trying to sell his product.

Lads, listen if I had banana everytime some idiot said 'we don't need/want broadband', I would change my name to bubbles and move to a zoo, don't get concerned over what one guys says .... The signals comming from organisations such IDA, IBEC, American Commerce Assoc, National Competiveness Council etc etc all pro-broadband, and you are getting upset at a comment by a guy who also can't define digitial media ?

Comon lads, dont' be so damn reactionary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If Morris really feels the need to concentrate on the "killer app" he's alluding to, perhaps he might plough some of the resources available to him into developing a viable micropayment solution, instead of misleading people with trite, inaccurate, misleading commentary.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

fetch me my gun honey... I'm going hunting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

To make an analogy of my own, Mr Morris should try running on a 40 year old PC which you have to share with your neighbours, while some git in Stephens Green tells you your lucky to have it and charges you a fortune for the pleasure.

• Advertisement

Occidental,

I like that analogy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

MDR, did you read the whole article? Denis O'Brien is also quoted as saying some frighteningly retarded things(the 4G statement).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

so I'm not sure how high his credibility is these days

MDR, did you read the whole article? Denis O'Brien is also quoted as saying some frighteningly retarded things(the 4G statement).

What does Denis O'Brien own these days ? Help me out I am having trouble remembering

As I remember he sold Esat to BT, and he wasn't able to buy Eircom ? So is he still a major force in Irish Telecoms/Industry, how does he spend his days these days ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

That guy is a camel, plain & simple. If we listened to him the killer app he talks about would be sitting in a box on a shelf awaiting a method to deploy it.

How do clueless gimps like this manage to work themselves into top positions.

He just decided all by himself that indeed 'the chicken came first'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

how does he spend his days these days ?

Investing mostly. I'm not sure if he's sitting on any boards though.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

i wonder how this guy could make a killer app that would compress 100meg files so that they could be downloaded on 56k.

basically this is what he is talking about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by MDR
    how does he spend his days these days?

Probably still counting all the money he got when he sold Esat to BT!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Jabbathegut

Whats the story with that melon Morris???, his opinion is confined to workings of Iona, and obviously has a techo advisor's feeding him this garbage.

He doesnt understand the broadband technologies that are available today such as video streaming, quite evident when he couldnt get his head around digital media...why was he there???

Anyone with 1/2 a brain would have no problems fully utilising a broadband connection 24/7.

FYI : Have sent a query to the ODTRT, to see if the meeting actually took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

god I wish this guy had a scanner he needed an 8mb driver for every time he talked through his arse, then had to download it on a 56k modem while explaining why we don't need broadband.
    (interview finishes and I say "hey you know that could have been done by the time I asked you my 2nd question) Idiot with some sidekick who's meant to make him look like he knows what he's talking about.

I will always be amazed at the morons they put into power and this guy is no exception.

If he had any grey matter between the ears he might have swallowed his pride and asked someone what they would do with a 24/7 always on conn instead of making an absolute idiot out of himself. The part that amazes me more is how the general public buys this tripe and will read it in the media and say "WOW hun good job we didnt buy into their whole i-stream eh, it's a waste of money, c'mere and read what this guy said at this conference" :rolleyes:

Godsake! we have a 2M/bit leased line for digital streaming, (provides us with an average of 15% of our GAP's!) maybe I should send my boss around to have a chat with these guys, at least he's run commands in dos and knows what a computer is and how it works and more importantly how to take advantage of the resources it provides you with WHEN YOU HAVE F*ckin Bandwidth! As a plus he doesn't make up technical terms he has no idea of and isn't afraid to say "I don't know".

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by tactical anni
    I will always be amazed at the morons they put into power and this guy is no exception.
    Clear example of
    http://www.bartleby.com/61/4/P0220400.html

But I've a feeling he's realised this:
    http://www.casact.org/pubs/actrev/aug97/peter.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Originally posted by dahamsta
    how does he spend his days these days ?

Investing mostly. I'm not sure if he's sitting on any boards though.

A bit OT, but DOB also happens to be the Chairperson of the Special Olympics World Games tobe held in Ireland 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Well i love the 'i have broadband... but its underutilised' well, well , well we have the power elite. Just because you cant use it doesnt mean the rest of us cant as well- you arrogant fool. He needs a killer app...well perhaps you need to goto yahoo and oh lets say LOOK AT ANY SITE YOU CLICK ON!!!!

What a very narrow minded view of the world. He cant see any killer apps for something greater then 56k in the digital media market (and i can only assume therefore -- the market in general)..i say look at any website at all -- when you bother your ass to dial in rather then use your underutilised broadband connection..I wonder is Iona paying for that?? hmmm interesting...

His digital media comments are frightening and might account for the $3 share price if IONA ...and its really scary coming from an application server company claiming a large percentage of the market...hmm want to see a killer app -- maybe ask YOUR CUSTOMERS FFS!!!

Lets not talk about Dennis -- please we just managed to get rid of him...and his im going to save ireland speech -- thank christ he didnt win in eircon-- or where else would we be now...even worse then the stuff we have...!! A telco boss that doesnt understand 3g...sweet lord baby jesus

THe only man who appears to have any clue what he is talking about is 'Rudolph Burger'. Bravo sir-- but god how embarassing that the 'cream' of irish technology is presented to this man -- on a digital media discussion and they dont even bother to find out what they are talking about....we need a wake upp call i fear.

A fiinal rant ' get a better pc so we can use a word processor..' O....Kay....lets see.... and then what do you propose we do...oh i see go over to your house to share it with the rest of the planet...the arrogance of this man...everyone else in EUROPE--no the world is offering ADSL ata cheap price and helping their economies-- but they are wrong...Germany is wrong, USA is wrong, Belgium, Holland, UK -- all wrong, only Ireland is correct sticking with 56K

perhaps if your share price goes lower and you have to SLUM at 56k like the rest of us -- you will understand...

SIR -- YOU ARE A SNOB (i have broadband..indeed.)...and a wee bit of a plonker. Have the decency to dial in and go to www.iona.com and tell me we need a killer app. then goto your broadband (underutilised)-- come back in hear and tell us what you think...killer app, my ass, we have one, its called the INTERNET...you might have heard of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Here here Fallschirmjager!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I propose that we approach Don King with a match between Fallschirmjager and 'Snob Boy'

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Seconded :)

The winner should take over at Iona. How the hell are they succesfull with that half wit at the helm? oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Now DUSTAZ-- THAT IS FUNNY-- LOL LOL LOL.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

WAN Fallschirmjager!!!!:cool: :D:p:)

Advertisement