Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ntl's always-on broadband 35euro

• 10-07-2002 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have this service at home or knows somebody connected? Are they actually doing something about dsl or I'm only dreaming ?

Hopefully they trying as Eircom sucks completely with 104euro and No stream DSL service

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/at...rnet_cable.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭HappyDude

My understanding is that they offer a cable modem service - but it is only available to people in certain areas of West Dublin.

If you are not one of the lucky ones, you will have to cough up the 100 euro a month to eircom:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The service was one of the first new services NTL offered - you may be able to find our original article on it in the News Centre archive at ICDG - it was around September 2000.

The service was only ever available in Tallaght. What happened was that NTL stopped building out the new network (it remains suspended to this day) and then stopped taking on users for the cable modem service. Whether it will ever restart is debatable.

Rumour had it at one stage that the old Cablelink cable modem project (over coaxial lines, one way with a PSTN modem link for uploads/requests) might be reactivated, but Go Digital has probably taken its space on the network.

Either way, I can't see NTL doing anything more with cable modems for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

It is available in a lot more places than Tallaght.

They have done some slow expansion to the service for the last year or so. A mate of mine was recently contacted saying the service is now in their area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

I currently have it in Tallaght. It's bliss I tell ya.
    NTL offered me a free months trial of it and I am currently on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Originally posted by Fungus
    It is available in a lot more places than Tallaght.

They have done some slow expansion to the service for the last year or so. A mate of mine was recently contacted saying the service is now in their area.

Any idea what areas are now available or is it still mainly Dublin West? (I know that my area - Coolock - was scheduled to be done in the next round of upgrades but that was before the entire project virtually ground to a halt).

I really want this service - ADSL is WAY too expensive (not to mention capped!) :( But I'll stop now before I get directed to the IOFFL forum! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

kaiser coolock is a no go area for ntl at the moment according to the sales department !

Advertisement