Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB in Ireland

Options
  • 10-07-2002 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

What's the story with Digital Audio Broadcasting in Ireland?

I remember hearing that RTE started it a few years ago. How much are recievers? How many stations are there? Are there independent DAB stations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

correct me if i'm wrong but RTÉ were only testing. DAB is not available in this country unless you're able to pick up a signal from the UK. the closest you'll get is digital radio from a satellite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Will local stations be available on Digital radio?

I think Ireland needs to really get its act together regarding digital radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Ireland needs to get its act together regarding digital lots-of-things.

There's a bit about it on rte.ie

I can't see it taking off anytime in the next ten years anyway. RTE will be slow enough changing to Digital TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'd imagine that the widespread move to digital in the UK will probably push RTE into getting their acts together on this.

TV:
    This autum, the BBC is beginning free-to-air transmissions of 24 digital terrestial channels. Buy your box and away you go, all paid for by the licence fee. Channels include all the current subscriber-only BBC services (including BBC4, BBC News 24 and BBC Choice) and a host of other channels, including stuff like Sky One, Sky News, CNN and (I think) Bloomberg.

Radio:
    There are several commercial DAB multiplexes operating in the UK, and frankly, they rock. Digital radio recievers for the PC such as Psion's WaveFinder retail for under £50 and can pick up several multiplexes; best of all, software like WinDAB or Dabbar allows you to stream those multiplexes as MP2 streams from your PC to other PCs on your LAN. The quality is superb, and the range of stations on offer excellent; particularly good is the ability to pick up stations that normally don't broadcast in your area at decent quality, like getting XFM outside London.

DAB is the way that radio in the UK is going, and it's happening fast - I think the phase-out date for analogue radio is 2005? I don't think Ireland can reasonably expect to continue analogue broadcasts once its nearest neighbour moves entirely to digital TV and radio, frankly.

Advertisement