Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.1 Sound card advice

• 11-07-2002 9:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭

i bought the aldi offer today of surrond sound speakers.

I am in the market to get a 5.1 sound card to work them.

What are some good brands. What price can i expect to pay.

Whats should i look for etc.

I was wondering is there a dul;a use for my speakers. I mean can i use then say on the TV with a special connection.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Creative Audigy
    And Extigy
    think the Audigy is coming down in price so look around for one.

for the duel use,it can be done but will cause you a major headache unless you live in a flat or somfin.
    play a DVD in pc with graphics card with TV out, watch dvd on tv listen to sound in 5.1
    but the speakers must be arranged in a specific order (www.dolby.com for more details)
    So you might have to move the speakers around from pc to TV.
    Or you can use the Audio in on the Audigy and play anything (i think) tru the PC speaker system.

But to get 5.1 it must be encoded in 5.1 so only DVDs (sky +) will have 5.1

kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Yeah SB Audigy is the way to go . Avoid SB Live! 5.1 though (in case someone trys to push one on you cheaply). I have one and although it works fine and I have never had any problems with it I have heard many horror stories.....

If your speakers use the digital in connection... here is a tip that may save you some time. When you get it all wired up and the 5 speakers will not work, there is a DIGITAL OUTPUT ONLY checkbox hidden in a menu somewhere in the s/w that *must* be checked to get the digital output to work..... took me a while to figure that one out.

enjoy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

The Sound Blaster Live Platinum or PLayer 5.1 Cards are very good cards. If you can get one cheap id recomend it. There has never been any problems with them - the problems i think you may have heard have been problems with Abit motherboards. Most if not all these issues have since been cleared up with all their Motherboards.

All the Live! series of cards were and are still very good.

Regards,

Paul

Advertisement