Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOFFL's trip to Brussels

Options
  • 11-07-2002 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

I'm just back from Brussels. It was I must say an extremely worth while trip. I will be compiling a complete report in due course.

The timing of it was very much an advantage. I had a meeting on Tuesday morning in Brussels with Peter Rodford of the EU Information Society Commission (Head of Unit - Implementation of the regulatory framework), Maria Stafilidou of the Information Society Commission who is compiling the facts on Ireland for the 8th EU Telecoms report, and Anthony Shorthall of the also of the EU ISC.

I'm happy to report that Peter Rodford and Maria Stafilidou are in Dublin today and tomorrow investigating how Ireland is faring in deregulated telecoms market, for the 8th EU Telecoms report. I raised specific problem areas and flagged areas they may be interested in investigating futher whilst they are here this week.

Of most interest was hearing from them of the importance of competition law and state legal instruments in the telecoms sector in relation to the new incoming directives and the ones currently in place. I also had an opportunity to draw their attention to the publicised movement on FRIACO as released in the press recently.

I'd like to once again thank you all for your support and for any donations you have made to IrelandOffline, be they financial, the provision of information, general assistance, lobbying, or just participation in this campaign.

David Long
    Chairman IrelandOffline

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Way Hey Daves back ...

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

from last Tuesday's indo:
    Monti may force internet price cuts

THE European Union's antitrust enforcer hinted yesterday that he may broaden his fight to bring down high internet access charges after receiving complaints of discrimination by entrenched telecoms firms against newcomers.

Opening a public hearing on telecom deregulation, Competition Commissioner Mario Monti said progress remained "extremely disappointing" despite years of efforts to increase competition, especially among providers of high-speed broadband internet access in Europe.

Without providing specifics, he said his office may soon "expand its field of action" to investigate new complaints of discrimination and "ensure a level playing field between all actors on the market."

EU regulators opened a formal investigation last May into Germany's former monopolist Deutsche Telekom AG, accusing it of trying to force new companies off the market with "unfair pricing practices" for access to the local fixed lines.

France Telecom's Wanadoo unit came under investigation in December for allegedly undercutting its competitors.

Monti's spokeswoman, Amelia Torres, said the latest, informal complaints were "not so much about prices, but more about the conditions at which new entrants are allowed to install equipment in the premises of current dominant players." She said they were concerned about inferior services, delays and "unjustifiable conditions" placed on newcomers in "several" EU countries.

"We have received strong signs of discontent," Commissioner Monti said. "I believe there is no smoke without fire."

Advertisement