Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Seinfeld Biography

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I remember something simliar to this was supposed to be released 2 years ago, I had ordered it and then I was told that it wasn't being released hopefully this time it will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Well Jerry aint happy with it...
    "This book is an unauthorized biography written by a tabloid writer formerly employed by the National Enquirer. Its credibility is self-explanatory."

Full story here...
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/artsentertainment/134491569_tvbriefs12.html

It could be a critical look at Jerry, if that is the case then I would be very cautious about ordering it, I think I'll wait for a review first.

I'd say theres little doubt it will be critical, but I'll still buy it.
    It seems like its going to be no holes barred alright

• Advertisement

Was Jerry Seinfeld’s family friendly with the mob?
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/782986.asp
    The funny man’s father, Kal, was “poker-playing buddies” with his neighbor, notorious mobster Carlo Gambino, according to Jerry Oppenheimer, author of “Seinfeld: The Unauthorized Biography,” which is coming out next month from HarperCollins

GAMBINO REGULARLY GAVE young Jerry “gleaming silver dollars,” says Oppenheimer, and forked over an “eye-popping check for Jerry’s bar mitzvah.”

The friendship came in handy when the Seinfelds ran afoul of their other neighbors for illegally renting out part of their house and running businesses out of their home in the suburban Long Island town of Massapequa, according to the biographer.

“Kal Seinfeld would mention to debtors that he was playing poker with Gambino that evening,” says the biographer. “It was a bulletproof way to get deadbeat debtors to pay their bills.”

Seinfeld’s spokeswoman declines to comment on the book — which also alleges that the comedian dabbled in Scientology — other than to issue a prepared statement: “This book is an unauthorized biography written by a tabloid writer formerly employed by the National Enquirer. Its credibility is self-explanatory.”

Candy Extaraction, New "Comedian" DVD and The New Biography...
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/4973p-4606c.html

Costume drama

Halloween is more than three months away, but Jerry Seinfeld is ready with a training manual for your trick-or-treater.

The comic's first children's book draws on his youthful experiences extorting Butterfingers and Baby Ruths from his neighbors in Massapequa.

Some of his memories are painful.

His baggy Superman costume looked like "Superman's pajamas." Worse, his mother made him him wear a winter coat over it.

His mask would fog up and cut into his eyeballs. Still, he'd press on.

"We gotta get candy!" pants young Jerry, re-created by illustrator James Bennett.

Seinfeld dedicates the book "to my wonderful wife, Jessica, and our little Sascha, the sweetest candy of all."

Little, Brown is shipping 300,000 copies on Sept. 1. (Hershey has created a companion candy bar.)

Meanwhile, Seinfeld is getting ready for the premiere of "Comedian," the Miramax documentary about his cross-country touring.

The film coincides with "Seinfeld: The Making of an American Icon." Author Jerry Oppenheimer insists that the book is not a hatchet job, but "a Horatio Alger story." (Correction on our last Seinfeld item: His college girlfriend was not named LuAnn.) All the same, Seinfeld's rep calls the book "an unauthorized biography written by a supermarket tabloid writer. Its credibility is self-explanatory."

Heres more about it...
    Mr. Oppenheimer, the author of the windily named "Seinfeld: The Making of an American Icon," has previously served his country with the definitive tar and feathering of the Skakel family and an aprons-off attack on Martha Stewart that anticipated much of Christopher Byron's "Martha Inc." Venomous as they were, those books also were more successfully salacious than the Jerry Seinfeld story proves to be.

Aficionados of show business muckraking as a biographical art form will spot the signs of trouble on the back cover of this one. Prospective buyers are teased with the facts that Mr. Seinfeld could get upset enough to cry ("a college lover on Jerry's sensitivity"), that he has had an interest in Scientology ("a confidant on Jerry's involvement in Scientology") and that he has always been ambitious. Those are the exciting parts.

Although he maintains that "everyone tirelessly answered my difficult, probing questions," among the book's named and comically anonymous sources (e.g. "a critically observant close family friend" who found the Seinfeld family's furniture "schlocky"), Mr. Oppenheimer encounters a shortage of interesting information. His subject is widely acknowledged to be noncommittal, fastidiously clean and controlling, to the point of demanding a precise shade of gray grout for his entryway tiles. Naturally this makes pay dirt hard to find.

Like Mr. Beatty — who is also grudgingly admired by his new biographer for business sense and careful dietary habits — Mr. Seinfeld becomes a target for certain innuendoes. Each of these books hints, as legally as possible, at the thought that its subject has flirted with bisexuality. Mr. Oppenheimer in particular goes down this road with two left feet, as when he cites gossip about Mr. Seinfeld's closeness to certain male friends. It seems that another young comedian "had his own questions about Jerry's friendship with Wallace, because of what appeared to him to be Jerry's disinterest in women, not that there's anything wrong with that."

In any case, it is a well known tabloid fact that neither Mr. Beatty nor Mr. Seinfeld has ever lacked for female companionship. And in both cases, assorted former flames are happy to talk. Unfortunately Mr. Oppenheimer is also happy to let them ramble on, and these girlfriends share interchangeable ideas.

Each thinks that Mr. Seinfeld should have married her, that he could have bought nicer presents and that she served as a basis for Elaine, the character played by Julia Louis-Dreyfus on his eponymous television show. The show itself is given far less attention than complaints like "the Seinfelds felt Jerry was an idiot for breaking up with me."

While fostering old resentments from Mr. Seinfeld's boyhood in Massapequa, on Long Island — apparently he hasn't been as generous to the local high school as have the Baldwin brothers, who also grew up there; this book also harps peculiarly on the Jewishness of the Seinfeld family. Imaginary cries of "Oy, vey!" are attributed to Jerry's parents when he makes a not-great debut acting appearance on television. Words like schlep and shmata are favored by the author.

Since Mr. Seinfeld, the book says, has spent his adult life interested in Scientology, Transcendental Meditation and Zen Buddhism without being devout about his Judaism, this emphasis is odd. If the book's Yiddishisms are meant to echo the tone of its subject's humor, Mr. Oppenheimer might have established that by showing more interest in the actual Seinfeld oeuvre.

When it comes to tracing the roots of Mr. Seinfeld's success, this book makes connections between, say, the parking difficulties encountered by its subject while he was a Queens College student and the parking-space references that he would later make. So it mimics Mr. Seinfeld's trademark way of making much out of nothing.

Ultimately, this becomes a backhanded tribute to his comic abilities. It's not easy to celebrate the inconsequential, as readers of these biographies will discover.

Openheimer believes Jerry is behind the media blackout of his book...
    Is Jerry Seinfeld still the master of his domain? A biographer who has written a tell-all on the comedian has been nixed from major TV appearances, and he believes the funnyman himself is “either directly or indirectly” behind the media blackout.

Full story here

What the Spokesman-Review has to say...
    He was into Scientology. He's never been true to his school. He used to douse himself in pHisohex and would spend hours preparing his face for a shave.

He has deeply rooted control issues, is remarkably focused and has rarely made a misstep in his ascent to America's comedy pantheon.

• Advertisement

The bio arrived this morning have read the start of it, controversial to say the least mildly putting it. ;)

If you want you can write a review for the features section on Seinwars. I'm eager to hear your opinions on it, because at this stage I think I've read so many reviews I know the supposssed "dirt" that is being dished.

Let me know when you get done :)

will do. :)

giddy up :)

I finished reading it this morning Oppenhiemer seems to have a personal vendetta against Jerry not to mention Larry David. I’ll start the review on it ASAP. :)

Advertisement