Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant: MS service packs.

• 11-07-2002 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Sweet mother of god.

I went to download a service pack from MS (first for option pack then for exchange).

They now break up the service packs into individual files and you have to right click on each one and do "Save As" and your not allowed download more then 2 files at any given time!

Whats worse my first download attempt I forgot to add a file and it totally trashed my machine trying to install option pack 4. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I see they've "discontinued" the corporate downloads site as well - bloody annoying that.

All full service packs are available from www.downloads.com (as well as many more useful things). Certainly beats grabbing service packs a few files at a time. Just run a search there for say "service pack 6a" or "exchange service pack"

It's owned by CNet so you can be sure they're not doctored.

Or maybe a Technet subscription. I forget how much it is - about 200 euro a year or something. Seems like a lot (and it is) but worth getting if you're part of a business with a few machines - with the Technet knowledgebase updates you get all the service packs you can eat each month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I think they replaced the corporate download section with a new section in standard windows update. If you go into windows update and then "Personalize Windows Update" you can turn on or off the Catalog section.

Zab.

Advertisement