Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where does the form go??

Options
  • 11-07-2002 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

this is a stupid question but i cant figure it out and its been eastin away at my brain for ages...when u fill in the form and click submit how where does it go.i know it can go in a form of an email but wat do u type to get it there witout outlook openein up...and how would i save it in the cgi or on the database somewhere>???
    help very much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Are you asking from a user or developer side of things. There are many form 2 mail scipts out there. Depending on your hosting capabilities, if your a free hosting user you may or may not be able to use Active Sever Pages(.asp) and Personal Home Pages(.php) or have access to you cgi-bin

This thread may also help:

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Originally posted by bazH
    Personal Home Pages(.php)
    That's PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor, recursive acronym.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

ouch yeah, just got confused. never touched the php myslef, I`m a Microsoft guy thru and thru

Cheers tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Eurofficial

Are you using Microsoft Frontpage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

i use notepad..i dont like the other garbage..im askin from a developers point of veiw and just say i have access to the cgi...i dont know php but is that wat u need to know to use this or can u have something else thanks for ur help/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭JJSolutions

If ya dont have cgi activated for your hosting you could use a script from bravenet.com or if you do have cgi - there is loads of scripts available - there is one here http://www.dreamcatchersweb.com/scripts/

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭JJSolutions

BTW - I know what you mean about 'the other garbage' i used to use notepad - have you tried dreamweaver? dw mx is excellent!

Or if you are determined to write your own code try pfe - its the biz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

In the case of your mail client (Outlook, Eudora, etc.) it connects to a mail server using a protocol called SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol), telling it to send your email. On the other hand, a Webmail interface, such as Hotmail, or a ‘contact us’ form on a site will actually send your email text, subject, etc. to a server-side script (so called, because it executes a program on the server rather than the client – i.e. your browser) using standard HTTP (Hyper-Text Transfer Protocol). This server-side script then acts in much the same way as your mail client, in that it connects to the mail server (generally the server it’s sitting on) and sends the email on your behalf.

If I might suggest that you might want to learn more about the client-server model of the Internet. Everything works off that, and once you understand it you'll the scales will fall from before your eyes.

Advertisement