Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting hold of an Irish Digibox

• 11-07-2002 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I bought a digibox from Sky when digital first came out so my mother could watch Tara. It's now gone but RTE is now on satellite but unavailable to UK viewers.

Where can I get hold of a Irish registered box? How much would it cost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

You'll have to sign up for an Irish Subscription. You'll need to have an Irish address, Irish bank a/c etc.

Its very messy, and really, only if you have a realiable contact here who could set this up for you would you stand a chance of getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Slightly off topic but are there any moves to make RTE available in the mainland UK or in NI? If it were available in NI would an FTV card from there work to receive RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by dougal
    Slightly off topic but are there any moves to make RTE available in the mainland UK or in NI? If it were available in NI would an FTV card from there work to receive RTE?

RTÉ is not FTV anywhere, even in the Republic. To watch it you have to be subscribed to a Sky package. If and when it does appear on the NI EPG it will only be available to viewers with the Family Pack (or better).

I wouldn't have thought so...

Pay to see RTÉ here but free up North? Yer havin' a laff, ain't ya?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

RTE is FTV in ireland,,you pay for the value packet ,sky one etc and they give you rte extra for free.You do not actually pay for rte .

• Advertisement

No, you've mixed your terms.

You must pay a subsription to Sky to watch RTÉ.

Therefore it is not FTV. It is part of the Sky sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by seano
    RTE is FTV in ireland,,you pay for the value packet ,sky one etc and they give you rte extra for free.You do not actually pay for rte .

You have to have some Sky subscription so RTÉ is not FTV. If you cancel your Sky subscription you loose RTÉ as well.

OK i shall put it this way..SKY can take rte away at anytime because you have signed up for Value packet which is sky 1 etc.
    RTE is given for the ROI customers as an " extra service".
    I know what you all mean by FTV etc ,it is just you can twist it a bit in regards to this subject.
    You have to pay sky for an uptodate value packet to receive rte free to view.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Are we all agreed on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Pay to see RTÉ here but free up North? Yer havin' a laff, ain't ya??

Thanks, my stupidity astounds even myself.
    If RTE was FTV in Ireland then you wouldn't have mentioned the whole subscription bit. I am a bit hungover here today.

OK i shall put it this way..SKY can take rte away at anytime because you have signed up for Value packet which is sky 1 etc.
    I know what you all mean by FTV etc ,it is just you can twist it a bit in regards to this subject.
    You have to pay sky for an uptodate value packet to receive rte free to view.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frankly, no. The two are seperate and cannot be confused.

What you are saying is all channels are "free to view" when you pay for a sub. Now thats a bit daft. There are no such things as "extra services" where Sky are concerned.

You pay to see RTÉ on Sky. End of story.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dougal
    Thanks, my stupidity astounds even myself.
    If RTE was FTV in Ireland then you wouldn't have mentioned the whole subscription bit. I am a bit hungover here today.

And I'm just having a happy day cos its Friday :D:D Hope you recover in time for what the weekend brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Sky can take away any channel at any time of their choosing. RTE is not Free to View. Free to View means you can watch a channel using a viewing card without paying any sub which is clearly not the case with RTE.

Regards Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

"Free to View means you can watch a channel using a viewing card without paying any sub "
    Hey Tony does my goldcard fall under this coz iI can watch without paying sub.Ha Ha
    Whatever RTE IS ,IRELAND IS MAYBE THE ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WHOLE OF EUROPE THAT YOU CANNOT LEGALLY VIEW A TV CHANNEL ABROAD FTA,FTV ,SUB OR EVEN HACK THE THING

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

"Free to View means you can watch a channel using a viewing card without paying any sub "
    Hey Tony does my goldcard fall under this coz iI can watch without paying sub.Ha Ha
    Whatever RTE IS ,IRELAND IS MAYBE THE ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WHOLE OF EUROPE THAT YOU CANNOT LEGALLY VIEW A TV CHANNEL ABROAD FTA,FTV ,SUB OR EVEN HACK THE THING

Well obviously I meant an official viewing card, if you are going to be childish about this I see no point in discussing it further, and please turn off the caps there is no need to shout.

Regards Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

I'm just been ignoring the thread, Tony. It didnt deserve a responce.

Am I the only one here that does not take himself serious

Advertisement