Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Distance Networking?

Options
  • 12-07-2002 12:45am
    Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭

I am trying to set up a network with my m8 who lives on a road near mine. The distance between us is roughly 100m. I have the means, but I need to know if there would be a big problem with latency, because of the wire being so long.

Thnx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Cat5 will support 100mbit up to 100 metres, and 10mbit after that, though I don't know to what length, I believe it's a few hundred.

It would probably be cheapest to go with a reel of cat5, you could pick a 300m reel for something like 150 quid. I don't know about how safe it would be, or how long it would last, being out in the open, I don't think it's designed for that.

If you have line of sight wireless would be another option, but much more expensive and slower, if you can't get 100mbit over cat5 working.

You might need to buy something like 100m of garden hose, and run the cat5 through that to protect it, heard of someone doing that somewhere.

[edit]Latency won't be an issue, I don't think[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Should be 10Mbit up to about 300m I think. Or you'll get quite a bit of length using some copper every 50-100m-odd (can't remember how it works but certainly not cheap)

Garden hose = good idea, definitely.

Latency won't matter a damn - it won't exist in any way you'll notice.

There's no way you'll get that cable over a road or over someone else's land so if you have to do either, wireless may be a better option (admittedly slower but you may not get 100Mbit/sec anyway). Wireless would also be more reliable in that once you sort out any line of sight issues there'll be no cable to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I'm in a similar situation to yourself actually, my uncle lives around 100m down the road. We were discussing it one day, thinking about running the cable through the gutters down to his place, wondering if people would mind...

If and when errorcom's excuse for a dsl product is available here in wicklow I'll probably get it with my uncle, get the high end one meg uncapped product and split the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Slightly unrelated, and perhaps better at home in Ireland Offline, but would anyone be interested in line-of-sign wireless connectivity in the Bray area?

We are considering providing such a solution to the immediate business park, but coverage would actually be most the town area?

Steve

ps: pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

The standard is suposed to be 100Meters for either 10 or 100MBITS officially.
    I never really had any problems with the connection.
    Except for his dog kept eating the cable, since it went in through his back garden.
    Its not setup anymore as he has moved house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

jeez, thats a new one, I never knew Cat5 would support 10Mbps after 100metres ??? If only I knew that I would of saved plently of time getting hubs to boost signals....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

depends on the cable quality as well, for 100 meters you could easily set up wireless, but cable is cool if u can do it (and much faster) Just got wireless gear from work so will be doin loads of expermenting in Waterford city area
    currently posting off a laptop while wonder around the appartment :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Thnx lads. Latency was my main worry as i was unsure of signal degredation etc.
    The running of the wire wont be a problem as it will be run behind walls where trees and bushes screen it from the opposing houses.
    Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Rew
    currently posting off a laptop while wonder around the appartment :)

Must be hard to type while walking. DO you actually wander around the apartment or just sit on a wheely chair like me, portable on lap, going "wheeeeee"
    (note: I also drive like this, minus the laptop)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

depends on my mood im not too bad at one handed typing but i also tested the range by listening to mp3's off a server etc where i didnt have to be typing

wireless rocks.... pitty its probaly giving me cancer at the same time!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

get some "Fast CAT5e" cable.
    It's setup for signals upto 300Mhz so you should get good clean transfer.
    if it's going to be running at 10Mbit I'd seriously reccomend a wireless setup
    look at www.irishwan.org and www.irishwan.org/board for info.
    You need a card, cable, parabolic directional antenna, connectors and enthusiasm.
    if you're legal the power won't be enough to affect anything.
    Can't go above 100mW in Ireland, or they slap a €20000 fine on you.
    You'll get 11Mbits with 802.11b or 54Mbits with 802.11g (which hasn't been certified for legal use in rieland yet in the ISM bands, though I hear it's close.

having 300m of Cat5 is a waste of time and expensive, and over that distance youwill notice the latency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

you lucky sod.
    All my neigbours are old and have no clue what the interweb is.
    If even one of em wanted we would have 1 mb connection split.
    Wouldnt care about latency cos the original line be in my house :)

Maplin sell that cable bit pricey.
    if you know any ESB /Eircom/Cable workers they will know what to get and might get it free.

Kdja

Advertisement