Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to college

• 17-07-2000 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I gave my notice today - boy was that tough! I was so nervous coming in this morning, first time I've left a "permanent" job. They took it well enough and were very sound about it.

So back to college in GMIT Galway! woohoo smile.gif

Al.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

congrats.
    I'm considering going back to UCC.
    dunno if i could return to poverty though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Back to college myself in two month Woooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooo biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by deRanged:
    dunno if i could return to poverty though.

I want ot go back to do a masters and the poverty bit is a stumbling block....not being able to go out and blow a couple of hundred over a weekend and go at the end of it "ah, sure only 2 weeks till pay day woohoo"
    Saving? What's that?

Draco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

You WANT to go back to college!!! eek.gif

Full time??!! eek.gif

Drag your ass out of bed while it's still dark, haul your ass to a cold lecture hall where you have to sit so far back you can't see or hear anything, spend all day in un-comfortable chairs constantly shifting position so both your cheeks don't go to sleep, then spending all evening doing some assignment or project, finally getting home when it's dark again, wondering what the sun looks like.

Oh yeah - college is great fun. frown.gif

I was so busy once I didn't get breakfast until 8 o' clock.......in the evening. I should have been on a sponsored 24-hour fast - I'd have eaten more and at least then someone would have benefitted from it.

Then there's the time I had to hand up a project and half the printer's were out of order. There was hugh queues for the ones left working. Into the car, crawl out over all the speed-bumps, tear home at 80 miles an hour, print it out there (giving my computer a virus at the same time), then tear back to colege at 85 miles an hour hoping to **** that Garda posts me a ticket instead of pulling me over.

I'd rather swim with sharks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

haha GMIT I did my time in there and never again I would prefer to have all my teeth pulled. Would your employers not pay you while you train or at least provide training in house??? Hmm living on weekend work money I don't think I could do it.....

• Advertisement

Yeah but you get so much sleep its great.

I've only 18 hours classe this year and the rest of the time is give to projects so its not too bad.

I know I'll be broke but I'll have loads of sleep, sleeeeeeeeeep smile.gif

Trojan I did my time in Galway 2 years Elec eng. plus two repeats of German frown.gif god I hate langues (unless programming ones) What you doing up there?? There is a few brill lecs up there but the whole Elec Eng school was a laugh (along wiht some other schools talk of one getting sued over exams a couple of years back)but still I can see your point that all important piece of paper untill you get that you'll be taken advantage of in the work place and once you get that piece of paper no-one can take it away from you (unless they find out you were cheating)..

Cheers,
    Kayos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

BSc in Software Development
    Semester VII: Artificial Intelligence; Software Engineering; Systems Programming; System Software; Data Communications and Networks; Elective (Business European Language or Legal & Ethical Issues)

Semester VIII: Theory of Algorithms; Real-time Systems Design; Project; Elective (Business European Language or Distributed Systems)
    Know anyone doing that?
    Al.

[This message has been edited by Trojan (edited 18-07-2000).]

Na I don't know any one on it at the mo but you have some good lec's you should have Dr. Bob who on first meeting you will think is insane but he is one of the best maths heads around you also might have Colm Cox great guy leactures are a bit on the dull side but he is a good teacher. Be carefully on the Language we had a choise German or German frown.gif then the leacturer went out sick for 2 months and they never got a replacement.

Any way we should meet for a few scoops when you come down.

Kayos...

Similar in some subjects to what your doing alright.

I'm doing a BSc in Applied Computing in WIT.

Not a bad course at all.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Trojan:
    Draco - you make a good point and I'm a bit worried about that but I think I can control mself enough - just need a good woman to regularise my sex, then don't need to worry as much about drink. But weekend work can make you a lot of money too...
    Heh, you may get regular sex, but you'll have the added expense of maintaining a gf which is just as bad if not worse... wink.gif

Being in control of my own time is the best thing I'm looking forwards to though!!
    God yes! That is the big lure for me - none of this 7 in the morning lark as I live 15 minutes from the college and not having to be in until 10ish (well, more 11ish).
    That and being able to molest 1st years... smile.gif

Draco

you'll have the added expense of maintaining a gf which is just as bad if not worse...

LOL, how true! Doh, you can't win with women can you? smile.gif
    That and being able to molest 1st years...

Bold! Can I have some too? smile.gif

Pretence, you a snet-head?
    I know a few lads down there (4 wit-heads working here for the summer).

Kayos - no French, huh? Doh, c'est pas bon! frown.gif Defo for the pint though. You workin in Galway?

Alo.

Trojan are these lads u know on work experience or wot??

Where are you working if you don't mind me asking?

They are:

J. Lawler
    D. Mulvihill
    E. Kearney
    B. Reynolds

I'm in Software AG in Blackrock.

Cheers,
    Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭OctaviaN

hey Blitzkrieger only 80? and then 85? were with the wind going back smile.gif

Ah dont fret al youll have that bmw quicker after you go back to work tho. wink.gif

vroom...vrooom....vrrrrrrrroooooooooooooommmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭OctaviaN

If you tried to make sense of the above post
    dont! I need time to wake up. Just spent 10 mins in the toilet b4 coffee break to have a quick sleep smile.gif
    The truth is i need to go back to learn grammer and typing skills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Al,
    best of luck in the real world

Aye hes in the same class alright, don't know him that well but we get on grand..

Smart enough fellow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Good decision Al.

Postgrad stuff is great. Far more relaxed and you still get to go to all the student balls without looking like some kinda deviant ... well .. less of a deviant wink.gif

In any case - It's the time thats the best.
    You won't get kicked out of college for missing lectures ... unlike work.

JAK.

ps- If money is bad - then apply for a scholarship next year.

Jak, I'm thinking about the postgrad alright, might be as well off to do it straight through. I heard people say that those who go straight from degree to MSc without working for a year or 2 don't do very well but I've almost 2 years work behind me now so it's a serious possibility. Hopefully I can either get a scholarship .(check your ireland.com) or get some work on the side.

Dav - the T28 is now only £99 in Carphone Wh, the *******s! But fúckit! The laptop will do me a while alright. smile.gif

Pretence - give him a bell at saiebre@sag.de

Al.

• Advertisement

Bold! Can I have some too? smile.gif
    No you bloody well can't! They're only for postgrads wink.gif

Taught masters are a big bag of steaming monkey sh1te. Well, that's what one of my lectures reckoned and beat into us at every oppertunity.

And if your short of cash, there are always plenty of nixers you can do...

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I don't think anyone trully ever returns to college...life is a learning experience we are all students...
    btw
    pretence u suck.
    so dayer.
    HAHAHHA.
    trojan you are a muppet. so dayer
    8)

Originally posted by OctaviaN:
    learn grammer and typing skills

And spelling too... smile.gif

Micro, I have seen the real world and I'm running scared! smile.gif Back to the easy life!! (Sarcasm is not included, please purchase separately)

Al.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's hard to imagine a student with a £3500 laptop and a £350 cell-phone biggrin.gif

Al - you know Karen is headed for GMIT too for a degree.

Also, my cousin Pat is gonna be down there - I'm gonna be in Galway lots. I'm gonna be in a bad state % )¬~~~ But I think I told you that already smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

Hey Trojan, is the lad Reynolds first name Brian, wears glasses I think confused.gif?

And is he busy, or busy doing nothing??

[This message has been edited by Pretence (edited 19-07-2000).]

Tis him aye. Know him well?

Al.

Dav - the T28 is now only £99 in Carphone Wh, the *******s! But fúckit!

haha we got caught on the same phone I see I bought mine before xmass at 350 good phone but it broke the other day and has now been gone 3 weeks getting fixed mean time I'm stuck with a hunk a junk loan phone frown.gif

kayos: It broke? What exactly happened? Mine too - got it replaced... something odd here.

Did you get a case ever?

Al.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Alastair - you stood on yours you muppet!

My T18 is fluffed beyond repair - moisture damage. And, I can't get the 80+ numbers I had stored out of it again! FFS mad.gif

Just been looking at the Ericsson site - I like the look of the soon-to-be-released T36 smile.gif It's upgrade time for me!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 20-07-2000).]

• Advertisement

Ah cmon, I'm big, but I'm not that big. An expensive phone like that should be able to put up with a huge 5'7" guy like me on it... fs!

Al.

Advertisement