Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has WWE(f) ever been this bad?

• 13-07-2002 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Can you remember WWE(f) (smackdown in particular) ever being as bad as it currently is?

has it been worse? 6 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

well smackdown has only been around since late 99 - and that was when the wwf was going through its most successful run in history - that should be taken into consideration but anyone who remembers the wwf in the early to mid ninties will know that it has been much worse than it is now - so when people say the wwe is ****ed and that there is no hope for it i say- yeas its in a very bad state at the moment but it has in the past and can turn that corner once again to creative and commercial success(not that i give a **** about their finances - though it wouldnt help if the company went into the kind of debt it was in back in the early ninties)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

wwe is still making a lot of money, its just its product isnt great lately so the live crowds are not as big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

The experiment to split the shows doesnt seem to have worked, as it seems to have lessened the quality of the product.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

WWE was really bad in the early 90's with such gimmicks as Crush, Doink the Clown, Skinner, TL Hopper ( a plumber as a wrestling :( )

What WWE needs right now is some semblance of what made it watchable in the late 90s - decent storylines, well thought out plots and most of all entertaining matches.

Some suggestions I would go with are:

Give the damn title to Angle, screw the Rock
    Let HHH feud with the nWo and then let him give HBK his last in-ring match, built up well this could be a classic. Afterwards turn HHH back to heel
    Let UT turn face eventually (I like the way he is turning, slowly but surely) and then let him finish in a retirement match against Angle or HHH, he owes both of them atleast one more job)
    Expand the Hardcore division beyond stop signs, tables and chairs. Let some of the former ECW-ites feud over it, you dont believe me look at ECW PPVs - hardcore, hardcore.
    Start trading some players from Raw to Smackdown and vice versa
    Get rid of the following - Rikishi, Albert, Test, Hogan (his time has come and gone), Mark Henry
    Get Jericho back to main event status instead of wallowing in mid card hell (he does deserve better)
    Make sure that Vinny Mac stays off our screens, I am sick to death of his week in, week out perversions with Stacy Keibler (she is fine, but that old goat doesnt need to be on each show)
    Make the IC worth something, RVD's best match as IC champ was against Eddie (Ladder match on Raw)
    Get the tag division back to some order. Sorry but reunite, APA and the Dudleyz, they are badly needed in the tag area.
    make the Dudleyz a bad ass team again, like ECW. Let them rip the crowds, let them dominate, like E & C did.
    When several of the injured players come back, push them, people like Kanyon, Awesome and Rhyno
    How about reuniting the Impact Players from ECW!!!!!
    Keep Steph McMahon off our screens forever.
    In fact kick her off the creative team :)

Just a few thoughts, I am sure there are more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Brian Houlihan

I think many (including myself) are just watchin WWE cause it's the only thing we can see on TV.

I wish we could see NWA:TNA or some Japanese wrasslin

• Advertisement

yeah - we are nor exactly spoiled for choice with wrestling here and that is, no doubt, one of the reasons that the wwe continues to enjoy a lot of success in the uk and ireland when they are doing so badly in the domestic market

as for tna, i think i can speak for everyone when i say that it would be a very welcome addition if we were to get it over here though c5 are saying that they are in the latter stages of negociation with some undisclosed org r.e. a weekly show - from their criptic press releases and whatthe xwf have said in recent times one might be forgiven for thinking that they would be the most obvious candidate for the undisclosed org - only problem is that we dont get c5 over here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Brian Houlihan

If any of WWE's competition ever get a tv deal we will see a real test for the failing wwe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Woodgaff

Yes, remember th tv tapings back in 95 the biggest storyline then was Barry Horowitz beating Skip "Chris Candido".

Their main problem is Vince will never really publicly admit ecw and wcw had really good ideas (i.e. using former wcw/ecw wrestlers original gimmicks and character trates).

The newer wrestlers and gimmicks have been gray,bland and colourless.

id love to know who the company c5 are in talks with are, heres my list of not its nots!

WWA
    FWA
    XPW

Hope it is's

NWA-TNA
    GWF (or any good European promotions)
    CZW

of course theres always IWW!

bomb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭irishman_abroad

This is how I see things

Kurt Angle should be champ

Hogan has had his day in the sun and should retire(dont get me wrong, I loved seeing the hulkster in a wwf ring again and his match with the Rock at Wrestlemania rates as one of my all time favourites, but hes basically just too old and theres only so many times you can hear "Hes wrestling with his childhood hero/inspiration etc")

Bring back DDP and actually use his talents

Give Booker T a storyline worthy of his talents

• Advertisement

i would love to see angle as champ too, DDP has retired its a pity because i always rated him highly

i think it was finlay martin who suggested bringing back ddp as an announcer - he has some experience and lets face it, cole and tazz just arent up to it - imagine if corino had gotten the announcing job he was interviewed for (or so ive read) and he was alongside ddp - i think that combination, odd as it may sound, would work quite well

Advertisement