Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobo Advice

• 13-07-2002 7:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

I just got my grubby little hands on a 2.4GHz P4 chip.

I need a new mobo and am looking for advice...

I have SBLive and GF4 so from recent postings here and on other forums it looks like Intel Chipset is the way to go....

So question 1
    DDR or RAMBUS? Leaning towards rambus but willing to be disuaded ... I can get 2x 256MB RIMMS for $214
    and 2x256MB DDR DIMMS for ~$140. Is the RAMBUS worth the extra money...????

question 2
    which mobo ... some ooptions but open to suggestions
    Intel D850MVL, 850 Chipset, 400mhz FSB, ATX, 4 RDRAM Slots, 1 AGP, 5 PCI, USB, Audio, Lan $160

Intel D845BGL, 845 Chipset, 400mhz FSB, ATX, 2 DDR SDRAM Slots, 1 AGP, 6 PCI, USB, Audio, Lan $125

A-BIT TH7, 850 Chipset, 4x RDRAM Slots, Ultra DMA 100/RAID, Audio ,1 AGP Slot, 5 PCI Slots and 1 CNR Slot $140

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by marauder
    A-BIT TH7, 850 Chipset, 4x RDRAM Slots, Ultra DMA 100/RAID, Audio ,1 AGP Slot, 5 PCI Slots and 1 CNR Slot $140

From what I've heard from a couple of people I know and a couple on OcUK this board is one of the best out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Don't get the TH7, as your processor won't work in it. The TH7-II (or TH7-II RAID) would be a better option.

If I were you, I'd get the Gigabyte GA-8IHXP. You can get it from Unity Etail for 259 Euro (which shocked me, as it cost the same to get it from Overclock.co.uk). It's a fantastic board. Plump for some 1066 RDRAM if you can afford it (assuming you'll be overclocking).

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101028

I've ordered it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by JustHalf
    Don't get the TH7, as your processor won't work in it. The TH7-II (or TH7-II RAID) would be a better option.

Soz thats the one i heard.
    Forgot the II ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Thanks for the advice lads
    Actually it is the TH7 II, I cut and pasted wrong - fat fingers ;)

Advertisement