Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have Box Need Card!!!

• 13-07-2002 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I currently live in the UK.
    I have a box and dish already(from ebay),but want to subscribe to Sky Ireland,so I can get rte.
    I dont have anyone in Ireland who subscribe for me (All my relatives there are now dead)
    Does anyone know of a maibox or similar so I can get round the Irish address problem??
    Or can anyone help/suggest anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I am in Dublin with an Irish card but I want a UK card. Maybe we can do something. Does anyone know if there is anyway round the STB/Card pairing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Hi Lads

I am doing something simular to what you two are after.

This is how to do it

(1) MrEnvy you are in Dublin have you had you sky system for more that one year?

(2) If yes it can be done easly. If no it will be very hard

(3) equalizer you ring up and ask for a Subscirption stating that you have a digibox bought secondhand.

(4) The two of you need to be on thet same package family pack should do.

(5) When equalizer gets his card he sends it MrEnvy and MrEnvy sends his over to equalizer.

(6) When MrEnvy has equalizer card he rings equalizer and asks him to active the card. You will need to swap Digibox serial numbers etc. Sky will now pair equalizer card to MrEnvys box.

(7) when equalizer gets MrEnvys card he calls MrEnvy and MrEnvy rings sky to say that he has changed his box (Make up a reason for the new box) Sky then pair MrEnvys card to equalizer box.

Now mke up your own aggrements i.e. don't order Box Office.

And keep in touch you have just made a new friend.

Enjoy the TV lads.

Eóin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 equalizer

Heloo m8 post me privately perhaps we can sought something out.
    The package I'm interested in is your Sky Entertainment Pack.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Does anyone know if there is anyway round the STB/Card pairing?
    Just swap both the card and box, assuming you are both on the same package.

Hi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    by carrolls
    Just swap both the card and box, assuming you are both on the same package.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Swaping the whole digibox is a little bit over the top.
    If both people are outside the one years contract with sky they can just swap cards.
    (If you own the digibox you are not subject to a one years contract)

Eóin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by eoinm1
    Swaping the whole digibox is a little bit over the top.
    If both people are outside the one years contract with sky they can just swap cards.

Um, no. The card is married to the digibox, no amount of swapping will get them to work in another box.

The digibox and card go together. You can have two cards married to the same box, as long as they have not been authorised in another box. The way you're talking won't work.

The card is married to the box but in my first post i gave step by step instruction on how to over come that.

Each person calls sky and tells them that thay have got a new digibox and then give sky the details for the others persons digibox.
    This way each person keeps their own digibox and you only need to swap cards.

Eóin

~~~~~~~~~~
    By DamoDMC
    Um, no. The card is married to the digibox, no amount of swapping will get them to work in another box.

The digibox and card go together. You can have two cards married to the same box, as long as they have not been authorised in another box. The way you're talking won't work.
    ~~~~~~~~~~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Swapping box and card together would be the better option imo, the systems are already fully working and as the whole thing is outside both people's sky terms the less sky know about it the better. Anyway post for a box is only about €15 to Britian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

If anyone else is interested in swapping boxes, cards and subscriptions, please pm me. I already have the Irish channels terrestrially, as I am sure many UK subscribers have the UK channels. A swap can make sure everyone gets 'best of both worlds'.

And it becomes virtually impossible to detect (especially if both are out of contract, as Sky can't force the box to call home).

I agree with you JohnR - the less Sky know the better. A straight 'reciprocated' swap of registration details for cards and boxes is easier to detect and deter, particularly if it catches on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 David Robinson

I would be interested in doing this swap (I am in UK), but I would like to end up with my own box back because it is modified to provide an SDI (serial digital interface) output. This enables me, via a DAC box I have built, to get S-video into my digital VCR, among other advantages like not switching to composite every time you press the TV button on the Sky remote. :cool:

So would it work this way, assuming I could find a like-minded person in Ireland?

1. Swap boxes

2. Each person to do a 'new installation' with his own card and the other person's box, with the phone line connected

3. Set up PIN to inhibit use of Box Office (avoids any 'accidents'!)

4. Swap boxes and cards (do not connect phone line!).

Assuming this would work, would anyone interested please send me a pm. I guess it would be simpler if you have the same level of subscription as me, namely the Family Pack.

• Advertisement
Advertisement