Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem Trouble

• 13-07-2002 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Irritating problem with my modem and it's getting steadily worse everyday. Initially I was able to connect at the near enough the full 52kbps and then the phone socket blew. I was told by an eircom engineer that it was a build up of moisture that created a short circuit and blew the socket. Nothing life threatening.

So he fixed the socket and I had to get a new phone line cable cos one of the ends was shagged. Did that and now I can only connect at a max of 33kbps and it's getting lower everyday. Sometimes I can't even connect. I have to pull out the phone socket and reinsert it to get it to connect and when I'm connected it disconnects by itself. Anyone shed any light on the situ? I'm running win2000 and win98 dual boot and have a dodgy HCF modem from Dell ... yeah 4100 Dimension. Win2000 is running on FAT32 if that helps.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have win2000 & win98 also on dual boot on FAT32..

I usually connect at 37kb/s .. Today it would only connect at 28kbps... I ended up reinstalling my modem drivers and then i started to connect again at 37k.

I have a fax machine plugged into my phone line (I have 2 telephone lines) and i found that by turning that off it will connect faster usually at around 42-44kb/s. Today it didnt though :rolleyes:

Advertisement