Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chipper in Ireland

• 13-07-2002 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

For me theres no question at all. Its McDonaughs (not sure bout spelling but its pronounced Mc Done-ahs) in Salthill, Co.Galway. It 93 miles from my house so dont worry about local bias.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Macari's in Dundrum, superb chips and chicken kebabs :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Cunninghams out in tramore, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

lennoxs bandon rd. cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

The Miami in Ashtown, just off the Navan Road.

I heartily recommend their Snack Boxes with 2 breasts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

mullins dundalk or drogheda.. won numerous awards...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by Tizlox

I second that

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

There is a Food / Drink board you know, only 4 rows down on the After Hours drop down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

I second that

I third it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Originally posted by Mark1million
    For me theres no question at all. Its McDonaughs (not sure bout spelling but its pronounced Mc Done-ahs) in Salthill, Co.Galway. It 93 miles from my house so dont worry about local bias.

it's McDonaghs, and yes it is the nicest chipper around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Well being a Cork boyo I'd have to go for Lennox's... I've never been to McDonagh's myself but I have heard a lot of people rave about it so it may well be the best chipper in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

ballybricken take away up in ballybricken in waterford

Originally posted by OLDYELLAR
    ballybricken take away up in ballybricken in waterford

Have you ever been to Cunninghams?!?!
    Ballybricken is a kip ffs

nope never been to cunninghams .................stop with the ballybricken bashing , i love that place , its kicka*s!

Well make a trip to Tramore and get yourself a bag of chips.

C'mon Walkers is the best chipper in the City but Cunninghams is the best in the County.

yeah yeah i`ve been to walkers all the white paper on the chippies ...........but jimney cricket when does that place open ? Its shut everytime i`m up that neck of the woods .still though ballybricken my weakness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by Mark1million
    I'm from Salthill, and I didn't know there was a McDonaghs in Salthill. The only McDonaghs I know in Galway, is at the end of Quay St. in town, and yes it's the best chipper IMO (but I'm more of a pizza person) ;)

;-phobos-)

Originally posted by OLDYELLAR
    yeah yeah i`ve been to walkers all the white paper on the chippies ...........but jimney cricket when does that place open ? Its shut everytime i`m up that neck of the woods .still though ballybricken my weakness!

Friday at lunch time is the best.

thanking you kindly !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Joe's Take Away in Kilkenny rocks :D

The Roma Café in Carlow isn't bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

Burdocks in Dublin
    Hippy Chippy in Glasgow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Macaris (?) in Roscommon Town just beaten out by The Seashell off Pearse St. in Dublin. I'm not even sure if the Seashell is there anymore (I saw planning application stuff last time I was there) but man alive it had the greatest chips AND they'd batter a mars bar for you. Fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Oh my god, is Cunningham's still open in Tramore. I lived in Pinegrove Heights (near the CBS) for a year when I was six (that's twenty years ago!), and I used to love that place. That was the same year that the guy who owned an amusement arcade down by the sea was murdered if those days ring a bell with anyone.

Can you still get blahs in the bakeries there? Is it only Waterford that sells them.

In Galway, I'd have to agree that McDonogh's is the best, with Conlon's on Eglinton Street a close second.

Originally posted by Buckfast
    Oh my god, is Cunningham's still open in Tramore. I lived in Pinegrove Heights (near the CBS) for a year when I was six (that's twenty years ago!), and I used to love that place. That was the same year that the guy who owned an amusement arcade down by the sea was murdered if those days ring a bell with anyone.

Can you still get blahs in the bakeries there? Is it only Waterford that sells them.

In Galway, I'd have to agree that McDonogh's is the best, with Conlon's on Eglinton Street a close second.

Yes there still open and still tastier than ever.

And Waterford is not complete with out a blaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Donkey Ford's in Limerick.

The food is fantastic, the chip's were voted one of the nicest in ireland on a today fm survey thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Buckfast wrote:

Mmm....Cunninghams - rip off merchants but class chipper. And do you mean Pine Grove near the Holy Cross school?

Up in Dublin I've discovered (much to my backside's discomfort) San Marino in Windy Arbour. Gorgeous chips and chicken fillet burger *drools*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Macari's in Dundrum, superb chips and chicken kebabs

I just discovered Macari's in Dundrum about a month ago. They have the best chips on the planet, BAR NONE! I have never tasted chipper chips as good as these.. none of your pasty, insipid yellow, hard on the inside, damp and warm on the outside chips.. these are crispy, golden brown, piping hot, salty and vinegary and soft as you like in the middle. Superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Lennox's on Bandon Road in Cork City. Ask U2 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

yeah you can still get blahs, cunninghmas is still open. Life moves at a slower pace in waterford.
    ;)

*edit* oh yeah, and ballybricken IS a kip. Gonorrhea anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 JW123

Lennoxs in Cork, McDonaghs in Galway, that little one opposite Croke Park in Dublin, can't think of the name, some sort of Chinese place but they do lovely half-pounder burgers!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭pixie_student

Blas aint been the same since harneys became baker street :(

Walkers is the best chipper in town.. scallop butty anyone?

Cunninghams is probably the nicest in the county.

The Golden Fry is worth a mention too.. chip butty's there are nice!

Advertisement