Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network 2 pc's together.

Options
  • 13-07-2002 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

Im looking at getting 2 pc's networked together. I was looking at getting a USB cable to network them but its expensive.

I found a network kit at maplin. 2 10/100mb/s network cards with cabels for €44. (I am running on a limited budget)

Is there any other way to network 2 pcs together with a fast connection? and for as little as possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

When your in Maplin ask them for a crossover cable to go with the 2 network cards. You will get 100Mbits/sec from this arrangment. You can then connect the 2 PC's with this cable.
    If you need to connect more than 2 pc's tho you'll need to shell out for a hub/switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Here is the product: http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/details.php?CartID=0207130451321455343&moduleno=32043&modulecode=

Im not too sure about networking but i know i dont want anything less then 100mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Just add 1 crossover cable to that and it'll work without a hub/switch at 100Mbits.
    The 2 cables they supply are probably just regular ones. The guy in the shop will know what a crossover cable is.
    Or if you wanna be really cheap.
    Buy the kit and modify one of the cables to make it a crossover cable. To do this chop the cable in half and connect the orange/orange White pair from 1 to the Green/Green White in the other bit and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Well... Ill be in IT Direct some time on monday.

Thanks for the advise

Advertisement